Hardware for AI/ML

I have 6-7 years old laptop (with upgrade to RAM and SSD) but I am not sure if it could serve the purpose. So is this worth, if I want to buy a hardware to practice AI/ML tools.

the Jetson nano is made specifically for this purpose. whether the board is applicable to your project is a different story.

what are the specs of the laptop?

most any machine should be fine, just slower in between training cool downs.

anything past “Hello World” you might as well use a gaming desktop machine and not use laptops completely. You can ssh in / out if you really need to be mobile?

I don’t know about you but I would love for the committee to pull together and come up with specs and hardware we can rack up on Racky McRack as GPU servers we can use on the community grid.

eGPU for AI/ML

Forget the cheap dev kits. If one really wants to get into machine learning (AI, Tensorflow, Big data, etc…) then Go Pro.

Shopping list

I think we can do better on the CommunityGrid.

Cloud shopping List

p2.xlarge (1 GPU, 4 CPU, 61Gb Ram) $648/mo. or 0.90 cents/hr.
p2.8xlarge (8 GPU, 32 CPU, 488Gb Ram) $5184/mo. or $7.2/hr.

aws pricing guide

At .90 cents/hr with 61 Gb ram and a quickly scalable up to 4 times that capacity for quicker processing. I’d say cloud is where one wants to go.

The goal is to scale to this level hardware. But to start, I believe the Nvidia Nano and its cousins should be a good start.

well sadly the nano is unavailable and even their site is doing a redirection loop.

Looks like the closest thing is the TX2 which is going for just over $550:

But maybe we’ll see what it can do when it comes out this summer1.

Looks like one can preorder: https://www.seeedstudio.com/NVIDIA-Jetson-Nano-Development-Kit-p-2916.html

Anyone up for a class on the Jetson Nano?

1 Like

2 weeks wait time is not bad for nano.