Hanging a round quilt?

I’m considering making a round quilt (as a wall hanging). It will probably be about 24 - 28" diameter. I’d like it to retain its round shape when hanging, but I’m concerned that it will be all floppy unless I stabilize the rim. Any suggestions for doing that? What could I slide inside the binding to keep the round shape? TIA!

EDIT: It does not have to be washable, nor removable, nor child-safe.

First thought off the top of my head, I would use a rod about the same diameter as a coat hanger (2.5mm - 3mm) cut it for the circumference you need (75.5 - 88 in) and roll it in the slip roller (small grooves on the right side) or the ring roller in the metal shop.

Then stitch that ring on the inside of the edge, almost like an embroidery hoop.

1 Like

Any way to affix it to a thin disk or annulus of for support in a non-destructive manner? Umm…velcro? Or…metal disk and magnets? Or…?

1 Like

Maybe a brass rolled in the diameter, in a ring roller in the slip roll in metal shop. Nylon I think would work as well. The dryer vent cleaning rods can go that diameter pretty easily.

1 Like

Tent poles or similar flexible but stiff rods that will bend to the size you need, then just put a stich around the pole every 1-2 inches to hold it in place.

Alternative would be solid disc of foam core cut a little smaller than the quilt, and again just stitch around the edge every couple inches.

1 Like

A length of Romex or other solid core insulated copper wire could be bent by hand and basted to the back of the quilt to reinforce the rim.

1 Like

The usual modus operandi for quilts displayed at quilt shows is to make a black backing with hanging sleeve at the top that is the width of the irregular shape and long enough to get to the middle of the quilt. The quilt is stitched to this backing along the edge, then cut away the backing from the actual quilt.

I’ve also thought that a sturdy mesh would work as well in the same manner. But haven’t figured out where you can get that stuff they make my favorite tote bags out of.

Since you’re thinking (relatively) small, I will say that Bosal, Annie’s “Soft and Stable” or an equivalent is easy-peasy to quilt, creates a nice slightly puffy/quilty surface texture (so you can use it instead of batting) and gives a piece a lot of body. These substrates are basically a quarter-inch thick foam with scrim on both sides. You can get it with fusible on one, both or neither side.

Then, you might be able to create a few points of attachment to the wall using velcro combined with “Command” adhesive.

2 Likes