Handheld CNC Router

Handheld CNC Router

The hype and ‘marketing’ I have see for this device reminds me of the line I read on Adafruit that convinced me to purchase one of the early Printrbot Metal Simples “This is the first consumer ready 3D printer that they can use right out of the box…”

I suspect that to achived good results with this tool will require a great deal of skill acquired through practise. Much like what is needed to actually fly a UAV… Those can look real easy as well with someone skilled at the controls…

I find it very curious that they show you the thing cutting for 90 seconds and then don’t show the work it actually did.

2 Likes

Probably because it’s not cutting in the promo video…

No, it is not. But if you read through the comments, there is a video of an earlier prototype doing actual cuts and showing the results.

I am sure it does require some skill. If for no other reason, to get a feel for how close you have to follow the ideal path.

This video…

… shows it actually working.

Interesting if it works well outside of laboratory conditions and can maintain good position despite less-than-smooth movement, torsion, and other routine sh_t happens stuff in reality. I imagine that maintaining positional awareness will be the major challenge for this concept.

Here is a new video showing this being used.

2 Likes

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but it looks like this is finally available to pre-order, priced at $1500.

https://shapertools.com

1 Like