Hancock Fabrics is closing

https://consumerist.com/2016/04/01/all-hancock-fabrics-stores-will-liquidate-close/ If you’re looking for fabric for a costume or something, now might be the time.

I have heard that the discounts right now are not great, it is worth keeping an eye out as they drop,

Yeah, the article even mentions the deals aren’t great. I just thought if someone has been eye’ing something they really want for a while they might need to get it now before they go under.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Likely to be correct. They have already closed some of their stores, and when they did, those discounts weren’t good at all - certainly not enough to induce someone to buy things they didn’t really need just to “stock up”.

One of my SCA friends mentioned that patterns were 50% off. I think there was a 20% discount, no coupons accepted on fabric. No idea on trim and buttons and notions.

My thought is to check one weekly or so. That is what I did when MJDesigns closed. I understand that they are selling fixtures as well. The discounts will increase. BTW, many stores will on the last day of the sale, will do something like a basket of items for $10 or a $5 a sack. That will happen around an hour before closing. What doesn’t sell, is pitched in the dumpsters. I have filled a cart or more and then shared the goodies. I still have spools of 1/8 in ribbon from MJ Designs. I have an idea that it will come in useful on my upcoming sewing projects.

I just wish that one was closer to me than Mesquite and then Hurst.

When the Hancocks in N Dallas closed many years ago, I picked up a neat button that made a focal for his necklace

the l

There is one in Plano, approximately NW corner of Parker and Custer.

I wish my hubby was still working in Plano. I really need some thread and notions.

BTW have you checked the serger at the space out?

I went to the Hancock’s in Plano today. Pretty much still fully stocked. Most items 20% off, some 30% off. No coupons allowed. Minimum 2 yard cut all items except Home Dec, which has minimum 5 yard cut.

If you or others can, keep us informed. I don’t want to waste the gas until the discounts are more worthwhile

I just went to Hancock Fabrics in Garland (Hwy 78 and the GBT). They had everything marked down at least 30%. The fabric bolts were 50% mostly. I bought a nice pair of Fiskars scissors and a few odds and ends I can use with leather all at 30% or 40% off. I also bought some canvas (5 yards) to build a pottery bench with at home.

The cashier said they are going to be shut in June so I suspect towards the end of May the discounts will be even deeper. The place was jammed today though and a lot of the shelves were already empty.

1 Like

Closing date is June 18.

Most Home Dec fabric was 60% off a week ago. The one in Plano had huge piles of vinyl with a flocked backing for about $2 per yard, I think (maybe less).