Haimer vs just going with an old-school edge finder

greetings. now this is just a suggestion so don’t beat me up over it. But has anyone considered getting rid of the Haimer and just going with an old-school edge finder? The Haimer is nice and all and easy to use, but at $50 a mistake or $400 for a bigger mistake, it can get expensive over the course of the year. The edge finders run under $20 and (to me anyway) would take about the same amount of time to find an edge. Don’t get me wrong - if the Haimer is there I’m going to use it. But it is quite a luxury item.
Just a thought. cheers!

1 Like

Touching off to find the z and using a traditional edge finder are both inaccurate relative to the Haimer. It’s fine depending on your tolerances. (@wandrson ?)

well as I said the Haimer is quite a luxury. Not something every shop uses. so all other shops around the world must be inaccurate. not everything needs a 10,000th inch tolerance. cheers!

While the Haimer is more accurate then the alternative (edge finder/z touch off), its primary benefit for us is that it makes it less likely for our inexperienced users (I explain what I mean below) to get their work origin set incorrectly

Very few of the HAAS authorized users are ‘experienced’ with machining. Many are predominantly skilled at 3D modeling, but few come from it with a manual machining background. So the Haimer is to work offset setting as a digital caliper is to measuring lengths. Give our members a vernier caliper and they are much more likely to make large measurement errors. Given them a edge finder, and they are much more likely to get their work offset origin wrong.

I am not talking errors of a thousandths of an inch, but rather errors of 0.1" or more… (failure to remember to take diameter of edgefinder into account). Errors that large easily cause damage to our other equipment.

In short, I believe the Haimer saves us from more expensive errors.

4 Likes

fair enough. it was just a thought.

1 Like

Breaking Haimer tips is common problem not just for us but for most Haimer users. Walters conclusion that is better to spend $50 and save the machine than save a few bucks on the front end and have a higher risk of crashing the machine seems pretty common.

I think we should continue to use Haimers but stress more heavily the importance of being careful with them.

3 Likes