Hackberry being cut down. lots of free wood

I have a very large hackberry being cut down in a few weeks, would anyone like to call dibs on some logs? you’ll need to pick them up from my place when they get cut.

4 Likes

Pearce, where do you live and when do you think it will be cut down? I’m probably interested in a piece of the trunk.

635/Ferguson
and it’s being scheduled for mid September. don’t have an exact date yet, but if you have a size you are wanting I can ask for the cuts to be made

1 Like

That’s about 45 mins from me. Ask them to cut a piece of the trunk about 3 ft long and cut it down the middle longways right through the pith with their chainsaw. I don’t know the diameter but that should be pretty easy to load in the truck. (As long as its not 3 fit in diameter that is)

Hackberrry can be pretty especially when spalted:

1 Like

I could come by the day they take it down (depending on the day) and cut slabs with my alaskan mill. And also cut up any other custom bits for @coloneldan or others.

Hackberry is nice stuff. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fm9UzsO9IA

7 Likes

Ryan, I’d be happy to see you process the entire tree.I’m willing to come out and give you hand doing so, too if you’re interested if I could select a number of slabs to take from the tree.

That would be great. @PearceDunlap is the trunk less than 30” in diameter approximately? I can get 30-31” with that mill. If not the bottom trunk looks like prime bowl material.

Please save me a chunk, and let me know when. I have a pickup. Ask them to cut a piece of the trunk about 3 ft long and cut it down the middle longways right through the pith with their chainsaw.

I would appreciate a3 ft long piece a 6-8 in diameter.

Thanks
-CR

Ryan and I went to Pearce’s yesterday to help cut and to collect some Hackberry for wood turning and slabbing. I’ve attached a few pics to show what it looks like. There was some spalting and some very nice grain, too.

Pearce has plenty for everyone and would love to get rid of it I’m sure.

I took a moisture reading and as you can see it is very green.

2 Likes

For those of us who would like a small-ish piece, do we go to @PearceDunlap 's to acquire it? Or was there a selection brought here that’s up for grabs?

A 18" chunk of trunk would be excellent…

I believe Ryan was planning to bring some to DMS but I can give you a chunk if you don’t get one from him.

1 Like

That would be great! If you’re willing to give up any spalted, that would be nice too. And, we’ll be making pens with it, so it doesn’t have to be large, just a good length.

Could I get a chunk tomorrow? Will it fit in my trunk, or should I drive my pickup?

You’ll need to contact Pearce. I only picked up enought for myself.

r

it’s still all in huge pieces but can be picked up. the chain came off the saw and we couldn’t get more than the starting cut done for slabbing.

a majority of the smaller stuff is going to be leaving this week whenever bulk pickup comes and gets it.

we also found some squirrel babies and rehomed them at the base of a nearby tree and got the mom to pick them both back up

10 Likes

Just saw this thread. If there is any left at this point, I’ll volunteer to take it off your hands. I would be using it for firewood so I don’t need any of the “special” wood working cuts, so as trunk cross sections. Just branches large enough to split are good in my case.

I’m sure if you just stopped off after Saturday about mid-day Pearce would let you have all your want. In fact, some is going to be picked up as brush this week and a lot of it would be useful for firewood.

@PearceDunlap I’ll rent a Home Depo truck to drive up and pick up what you have left, if you say there is enough left for firewood to make the trip from far south Dallas? (I don’t own a working truck myself)

That squirrel parent looks concerned, loss of habitat…et al. That is a great pic!