HAAS Team Sign-up

It’s been a year since I took a class, so forgive me for not remembering which method was taught. I do remember the Paper method being taught for the drill bits, which extends to the endmills if your depth is not a major concern, but I don’t remember if the 123 blocks method was taught.

The endmills that live in the HAAS were all bought new, and that I have no desire to change. As for the wear on the endmills and the actual size; I intend on getting that information for everyone as I setup the tool crib with the 9 tools that will stay in the HAAS. The compensation method on my part was set to Computer so I need to determine if that was why I only got .005" for tolerance. I would think that if the endmills were smaller the values would have been larger than designed, not smaller then designed due to this setting. So any thoughts there are welcome.

Other thoughts there are that the HAAS is due for “regular” maintenance on the ways it seems. Could that push us outside of the .0005" tolerance - yeah it could if the maintenance is that far out. That’s something I have in mind with regard to the care and feeding portion of this team. Right up there with the actual repair of the tool changer, the light replacement, and the removal of the T-nuts under the plate.

Food for thought… these are the available settings:

In Computer The system will compensate for the tool diameter but WILL NOT output any machine compensation codes. In this case the operator has no control over sizes being cut.

Wear The system will compensate for the tool diameter but WILL output machine compensation codes. In this case you will want to start with a zero in your diameter register on the machine, and only enter any difference between the programed tool diameter and the actual tool diameter.

In Control The system WILL NOT compensate for the tool diameter and WILL output machine compensation codes. This is the same situation as if you were programing by hand. You input the print dimensions and then have to put the tool diameter (or radius depending on the control) in the machines diameter offset register.

Hope this helps and not confuse people more.
Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM