HAAS Team Sign-up

I’ll be there Tuesday and Wednesday … more for moral support (and money :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: for the lights). But you guys are the important ones, so whatever works for you.

I’ll be playing with the Cold Cut Saw, plan on leveling and getting set-up the feed table so it can be bolted up to it when finished with coolant testing that will be ready. Also if Chuck G says I can raid the material stash in Metal Shop I’ll get the Material holding bin welded up that will go next to it.

After that, then it’ll be putting new wheels on granite table. Bob and I figured out how to safely get the granite stone out safely so table can be flipped. Calculated weight of stone is about 650~700lbs. Will use the gantry to lift out and set on pallet then put back. If @Brandon_Green has scale by then we’ll know what the weight actually is.

1 Like

It’s already on the hook on the side of the gantry.

2 Likes

interesting… Yeah, I need to dig into this further since it seems I’m the only person getting this additional code - which typically means it’s my fault :wink: I’ll be up at the space on Wed and Thurs night and Friday all day I think. So I’ll get to mess with all of this.

Whcih CAD product are you running the HSM CAM with? I wonder if that may be what is making the difference?

[/quote]
Whcih CAD product are you running the HSM CAM with? I wonder if that may be what is making the difference?
[/quote]

Fusion 360 Ultimate (don’t know why they call it ultimate, but they do… lol)

I have the ‘commercial’ version of Fusion 360, so I am at a loss. Perhaps we can get together and do a binary comparison of our two versions and see if there are any differences?

Yeah that sounds like a plan to me… I have whatever it is that Autodesk keeps updated on my student account with them. Along with all the rest of what they have to offer.

Rob,

Open up one of your projects in Fusion360 and choose one of the setups. Right click on the setup in the “tree” and click “edit.” Then, select the Post Process tab. To get a G54, your WCS Offset should be set to 0.

Justin

1 Like

OK, so that worked… But only made sense after visiting the help video about the way the work offsets function in HSM.

So if you put a 0 or 1 in that it equals G54;

2 = G55
3 = G56
4 = G57
5 = G58
6 = G59

So this is just a little unlearning that needed to be done from FeatureCam where you had to actually put in 54 for the work offset. Awesome. :smile:

1 Like

How’d the meeting go the other night?

Only 4 people showed up for the meeting; Robert Johnson, Justin Hrbacek, David Steele, and Richard Meyer.

David Steele has taken the CNC Class and has made his domino, has done nothing else on the CNC since then. He has a personal project to mill out gears for making a large clock.

Richard Meyer has taken the CNC class but never got to make his domino. Richard is interested more in becoming a trainer for future classes. He is retired and has more time to be onsite at any time.

Robert Johnson gave us a demonstration of the Fusion 360 program. He suggested that we use Fusion 360 as our basic training tool. It was shown how the tool crib and the post processor was used for the HAAS. Since neither David Steele nor Richard Meyer have used Fusion 360 before they will have to start their own training. Since they already know Solidworks and AutoCad, that should not be a problem learning another CAD package.

A discussion about whether to change the training class from making a domino to making 2 Lego blocks that will snap together. It was questioned if 2 aluminum Lego blocks can actually “snap” together or not.

3 Likes

Thank you for the catch up.

THAT seems like reason enough to try it out.

I am curious about this, since Fusion 360 does not work on the JUMP server, and there is (as I understand it) no support from Autodesk for this. Since we were formerly able to do CAM work on the JUMP server, which was very helpful, and now cannot, this seems like something which needs a plan. (Or maybe there already IS one, and I am just not understanding).

While the training will focus on Fusion 360, the underlying CAM is HSM which also runs on Inventor and Solidworks. Both of which are available on the JumpServer.

I suspect that we can get Fusion 360 to work on the Jumpserver as well if people with the access work on it. I suspect the previous problems were related to Brian not being able to get Fusion 360 to work on his personal machine as well. So most likely what ever was causing his problem also causes the issue on the Jumpserver.

Unlike the prior software though, anyone who wants a personal copy can obtain one…

1 Like

I never saw a definative yea or nay as to whether the meeting was happening so I kept working. In fact, it’s Christmas eve and I’m STILL at it. These orders won’t get there in time for Christmas but they ARE getting done. See everyone next time.

Richard is very close, Justin gave them the demo on Fusion :slightly_smiling_face: No worries there.

The issue with Fusion on the jump server I’ve actually looked into. It’s permission based. The directories we need permissions to would just about require us to be administrators on the jump server. Not a great plan. It’s because Fusion is not a local install like most programs, but somewhat of a web based program. Yes, you can run in an offline like mode, but even then you need rights to parts of the file system that make it a bad idea. My endgame thoughts on that where to look at putting the post processor and tool crib in a location that everyone can sync from. We do have Amazon S3 (DMS) to leverage or if needed I have 20TB with Google Drive.

Changing the class to doing two legos did come up as it would offer more opportunities for learning Fusion/HSM, but also the idea of letting the person mill their own desired part came up as well. It’s not the worst idea ever, but most likely needs much more thought from us the powers that be. I like it, but have concerns about running a part that could end up having a 12hr run time. The simple steps I just made were 16hrs (re-did that math) and while they helped me learn much much more about Fusion, I wouldn’t want to burden someone to watch me do it.

Other decisions that have taken root unless someone still feels the need to discuss it:

• We will go down to 9 tools in the tool crib. Those will be the common tools needed to do 85% of all jobs. I will get this tool crib created and available to all, as well as update the HAAS.
  • The light - we will find allow cost dimmable option, can’t be too hard to find a suitable option.

More discussion:

• The memory add-on via USB is a great idea, but not any different from “streaming” gcode from the computer, something I think only a few know how to do. I’ve recreated older jobs I’ve run and found HSM jobs are much larger, so we might need to open that ability up.
  • The lego vs Domino… I’ve made 96 dominoes and can say the challenge there is tiny, likewise the use case for a domino is also small. We hardly use the set I made. Not saying legos would be different, but it’s an interesting update to the class at the very least.

More to come all

3 Likes

What are those 9 tools? Personally I’d like to see corner radius EMs around as these are less prone to breakage.

I assume those mentioned here

1 Like

then we’ll need to add instruction on adding a new tool as needed. Drill bits already fall into that category but I forsee ballnose bits and engraving bits on an as-needed basis.

1 Like

Yep, those are the correct endmills. They get the most use in the HAAS.

Yes, I feel like if you get unsupervised access to the HAAS you should be able to put in new tooling as well as a few other things. So there might be a need for an advanced class or addition or something. I don’t think it needs to be like a long formal thing, but I do think it should be shown.

Something I wanted to verify was how far out of tolerance the HAAS was. The spacers I cut Friday night were .005" out for both the I.d. and o.d. of the spacer.

O.d. was suppose to be - 1.2" it was 1.195"
I.d. was suppose to be - .44" it was .435"

So if anyone was wondering how tolerant the HAAS is right now, it’s holding to .005" which is enough for most if not all of what is made at DMS.

1 Like

Setting up tooling was covered in the class iirc.

As for the tolerances, the HAAS should be able to hold .0005". Do you know if your endmills are the size that they say they are? They could be significantly smaller esp if they are reground. In production, a part is run, measured, then the offsets are set to compensate for tool wear, etc.

1 Like