HAAS Team Sign-up

that would work if they were long enough. They have to be long enough to go thru the aluminum plate in the HAAS.

I see weā€™re going to have to come up with a list of duties and needs for those that would like to help. Not looking to turn help away - nope - but too many hands in the same pot is a serious mess.

Diameter and length needed? Pitch?

Iā€™ll measure that when I come up to the space today. The other issue with the T nuts already present Chris pointed outā€¦ a number of them have shifted underneath or are already packed with chips and shavingsā€¦ so either way I think we need to look at lifting that plate and getting to those.

Fan wouldnā€™t last long with the coolant, but stick a bigger chunk of aluminum on there and go without the fan. Iā€™d add some sort of temperature fold-back to protect the LEDs.

I had it lit at 25W briefly, w/o heat-sink. I had to use a welding helmet to look at it.

2 Likes

They are super cheap. I have one that I could donate to the cause.

I was thinking a solid block which then transitioned back into fins. No lens needed, just a flat bit of glass to protect it from flying debris.

1 Like

hmmmmā€¦ I think I might have the perfect thing for that thenā€¦ Just need to address the mounting holes for the light, and then also the mount for it to the HAAS itself.

1 Like

I assume that youā€™ve installed heat-sinks on CPUs. Same principle applies here: ultra-thin coat of transfer compound to fill in the microscopic surface defects, then clamp it securely to the heat-sink surface. Put a cap/window over that whole assembly. Presto! Light. Woot!

1 Like

oh yeahā€¦ ughā€¦ actually Iā€™m seriously over thinking a part of thisā€¦ okā€¦ we need the pyrex nowā€¦ Iā€™ll be a Lowes in a bit so Iā€™ll see what they have. Everything else we need is already at the space. to include the mount for attaching it to the HAAS.

HAAS team meeting - Lets look at getting together this week or EARLY next week to do a few things:

• Discuss

* Changes to training class & instructors
    * Potential change to HAAS usage procedures (daily check list, after use cleaning, blah)
    * Updates to HAAS supervisors list & Testors
    * Repair needs on the HAAS & updates to it
    * Thoughts on buying a set of holders for people to use their own endmills in
  • To-Do

* Start on the replacement light
    * Vote on a team leader (Iā€™m nominate Bart Simpson, and myself)
    * Train HAAS supervisors on adding/removing users from badge access.

We might just be able to get this all knocked out after the next Machine Shop meeting. Donā€™t figure this is a LONG list of items.

Thoughts???

1 Like

I propose Tuesday 12/20, 7pm. I could also do Thursday of this week, perhaps 8-9pm.

Also for the To-Do: Train HAAS supervisors on adding/removing users from badge access.

1 Like

Iā€™m drowning in work this week before the holidays, so Iā€™m for next week. things should lighten up then.

Okā€¦ so the Tuesday (12/20) at 7pmā€¦ thatā€™s sounds like a great timing.
And yesā€¦ adding that to the list.

If you canā€™t reserve a classroom - for now there is plenty of room in the center near the HAAS where you can meet.

1 Like

LOLā€¦ LOLā€¦ Yeah, you can seriously park a full-size SUV in that space now

When we get the new table and bench and things set up, it will will start filling but much more user friendly.

1 Like

Here is a link to a good Fusion 360 Tool Library Tutorial. It discusses creating a Master Tool Library, a backup copy of the Master and copying the Master library into your CAM file:

John also recommends using templates:

1 Like

Itā€™s perfect timing that you bring this up David. Last night I was at the space and had a ā€œsoftā€ crash as Iā€™m calling it. Which just means I caught it before it would have crashed. It identified a few interesting issues.

• Not all the tools in the tool crip I was using are correct.
    * There are incorrectly shaped holders and end mills.
  • The post processing no longer prints the greatest depth in the start of your g-code.
  • There is this odd P48 that gets added to the g-code for G54.
  • The finish of the g-code sends the table Home, not to the door.
  • When streaming g-code to the HAAS it has a known issue with codes that have line numbers up near the 100,000 mark. (Yep, my code went to 365,645ā€¦ bothersome fix for this)

Most of this is really easy to fix, but the first one made me rethink our current procedures for our tool crib.
Iā€™m really of the mindset that we should remove all the tools from the HAAS except those most frequently used - 1/2" & 1/4" roughing end mills, 1/2" & 1/4" & 1/8" end mills, the Face mill, the Spot drill (funny), the chamfer, and the haimer. Iā€™m thinking that theses 9 tools should live in spots 2-10 and the other spots should be open. Why?

The thought here is that we could get a set of empty holders and make those available to those of use that desire the ability to use our own end mills. The way HSM works out every time you create your g-code youā€™re effectively building the required tool crib. That said I think we should follow that same thought all the way through to the HAAS itself. Physically VERIFY the tools being used.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of empty spots for user-supplied
mills and physically verifying each tool to be used. The user will have a little more invested in the job (the cost of their end mills) and may protect the Haas from being damaged.

1 Like