HAAS scheduled down time & Question

So first and foremost:
This Saturday I will be completely changing out the coolant in the HAAS. I’m looking at getting started 9am, so if anyone can assist - would enjoy the help.

This will be a complete change out of the coolant, including a clean of the tank and a flush of the lines. This will be one more item crossed off the list - awesome.

Now the question - So I sat and measured the tools, and created the tool crib. Wonderful. What was never discussed was how we collectively would like to deal with wear (cutter compensation). There are a few options in front of us to choose from.

Something that was done last night was measuring the ACTUAL wear/deflection of a few tools in the tool crib (I’ll be doing the rest on Thursday while the tours are running). Right now that difference is being adjusted with an edit to the tool itself in the crib. So now I’m looking for a consensus on how we do this:

(There are wear offsets in the HAAS that are currently blank…)

Thoughts???

How are you disposing of waste coolant?

1 Like

3 Likes

This is a serious question. Machine coolant is generally not appropriate for city sewer.

Sorry, It is not being disposed of in the sewer. Not aware of the details, but my understanding is that someone has arranged for legal hazardous waste disposal for the material. Our future plans are to keep up with it to avoid the accumulation of large quantities.

2 Likes

The coolant volume is about 10 gallons. We have a 55 gallon drum that will be marked for HAAS & Cold Cut Saw Coolant only (they use the same coolant).

When it becomes full after 4 or 5 changes, Machine Shop will take it/arrange for it, to be properly disposed.

These are the blue barrels next the HAAS, one is for the chips from the HAAS, because it has coolant on it and will likewise have to be disposed of.

4 Likes

The best way to compensate the cutters with our current setup is to adjust each tools radius compensation on the HAAS itself.

I had to do this in order to machine press fit pockets for bearings; everything I machined after making the adjustments was accurate within a mil.

It is also best to keep to the philosophy that anything related to that specific machine should be adjusted on that specific machine; that is to say that Gcode should be universal and the machine takes care of its own inaccuracies.

The steps I used to ensure the machine was accurate were the following:

-Machine circular pocket
-Measure the pocket with our gauge pins
-Add or subtract radius offset to that specific tool depending on the measurement’s results
-Machine another pocket to confirm it has been adjusted properly

2 Likes

Right :slight_smile: So that was me last night.

Machine a 2D contour - measure - adjust - machine another 2D contour - measure

And I agree with you completely, it should live on the HAAS where it can be applied to any g-code.
Something we as HAAS user should understand then, the DMS tools in slots T2-T9 (plus the Haimer in T20) should not leave the HAAS or be adjusted in the offsets without proper steps being followed to accurately measure the length and wear/deflection of the tool.

We’re on the same page sir. Any other thoughts or opinions?

Robert and Chris,

I agree with your radius adjustment procedure. Leave the cutters at their nominal radius in the tool crib file but add wear offsets on the HAAS’s offsets table. Determine the wear offsets by machining actual features and measuring the features.

I have an event tomorrow at 11:00-2:00 so I will not be able to make the coolant maintenance, but I will try to make an appearance as soon as I get out.

Justin

1 Like

Ok all,
Spent most of the day replacing the coolant in the HAAS.
It has been completely cleaned out and refilled with new coolant.
That said - please do not add water to the HAAS. Being that I found 3" of chips the consistency of cake in the coolant tank says that this process might need to happen more frequently, but then I don’t have an exact date on the last time this was done.

If you find that the coolant pressure is low the answer is NOT more water, it’s clean up the thick chip cake in the coolant tank so it can flow freely. If I need to post steps on that process, please let me know.

1 Like

Can a maintenance schedule be done based on hours run.

Yes, I’m sure it can actually.
I’ll look into getting that schedule.
Unless someone on the team already has it.

I helped Bryan back in June or July of last year to clean out the chips in the tray. At that time we had about 3 to 4 inches of chips. I do not know if that task had been repeated since.

1 Like

I was hoping you might respond with a time table for when it was done last… That’s not that long ago.
I will adjust the schedule I’m creating accordingly.