HAAS - Recent alarms (123)

while running parts, I encountered the 123 alarm (Spindle Drive Fault). This happened once under load and twice on spinning free. the HAAS manual says “This can be caused by a shorted motor, overvoltage, overcurrent, undervoltage, failure of drive or shorted or open regen load. Undervoltage and overvoltage…”

If this happens the servos completely shut down and we found that the only way to clear this up was to completely shut down HAAS power using the switch in the back). If this occurs your program will be completely shot since you’ve got to do a complete reboot.

This is possibly a power issue but it is something we need to monitor. If you get this alarm, please let the team know. Heaven forbid it is a motor issue. cheers!

4 Likes

Going on recollection here. We core exchanged the spindle asmbly w/ Haas(?). Any warranty left?
Are there guide lines on how to troubleshoot this?

Does the HAAS have an internal drive(VFD)? If it continues we can drop the motor leads and meg the motor. I have a megger that we can use.

1 Like

The motor was part of the “transmission assembly” that was replaced last year in April. I believe HAAS will not sell a replacement motor, but only the entire transmission assembly. We were serviced by HAAS Factory Outlet Dallas. They offered a three month warranty which expired last summer. I never met the HAAS techs, Bryan worked with them.

I have never seen the Spindle Drive Fault alarm at any point during many hours of use, but I have not used the machine in a couple months.

Here is a link to some recommended checks and safety procedures:
https://diy.haascnc.com/reference-docs/vector-drive-troubleshooting-guide#gsc.tab=0

this is something we should take a day and check. let us hope it’s not the VFD going out. that’s at least a $5K replacement depending on the horsepower rating. Again, not a BIG red flag yet, but something to inspect and keep an eye on. It could also be something as simple as under/over power spikes. cheers!

Drive by opinion (take once in the afternoon with two grains of salt):

It sounds like some kind of ganged fault flag that is attached to the various “OH CRAP” monitoring circuits in the spindle drive. So basically a bunch of comparators at various places in the circuit that looks for things that are assumed to always be true.

It could be anything from a power supply issue to a component in the monitoring circuits (false fault) to a shorted winding. It would narrow things down if there is a way to monitor the fault system and tell which monitoring circuit the problem is coming from…