HAAS Mill Offline (updated: online)

Currently the HAAS is offline and is in need of an ATC realignment. Currently the power is locked out. The key for the lock is still at DMS - David K. is aware of that location if there is some dire need for the use of the HAAS.

Holder in the Tool Changer:

Tool Holder:

What you’re looking at is the results of the Spindle and the ATC (Tool Changer) being misaligned. Un-related to the Limit switch being misaligned. I have the manual and the related steps to align the Tool Changer and I will be here tomorrow (1/3) to do this at 6:30pm.

ALSO - @ChrisPattison has taken the window’s out of the front of the HAAS and he will be cleaning them tonight and putting them back in.

Story on the tool crib - The new DMS tool crib will be placed in an online repository (Google Drive). It will be read-only for the majority and read-write for a chosen few. I will provide this information to all tomorrow as well.

If anyone would like to assist me with the alignment, please let me know.

5 Likes

Zepps works quite well

11 Likes

That looks awesome!!

I’ll be there to help you with the re-alignment of the tool changer.

3 Likes

I ordered two Lockout/Tagout locks, last Saturday, they should be here tomorrow.

1 Like

Update for all those interested…
I don’t know when the last time was that the tool changer was actually serviced, so with the alignment needing to be done anyway I think now is a great time to get this done.

For those interested, this is what will be done starting tonight:

I’m on a mission to get our HAAS back on a regular maintenance schedule that fits with our usage levels. This I feel and see is long overdue. There is an understood potential that there are a number of worn parts in our tool changer. If the parts are far outside of spec then they will be put on the list of parts growing for our HAAS.

Side thought there: we could machine the replacement parts ourselves - the parts are really not that complicated to CAD up (thoughts)

I’m not looking to completely empty the ATC of all worn parts right now as I would like to make sure the HAAS remains serviceable at least at a “lower” level of function. If the work today can not be finished the HAAS will stay down. That said, I will likely be less talk-a-tive today and much more focused on getting this work done. I would enjoy the help from those on our team if possible. :slight_smile: Please take a moment to watch the above video so you have an idea of the plan for this evening.

I would at least like to get to the point where the ATC plate has been cleaned and inspected, along with all the parts to it.

3 Likes

Next on the list after this maintenance:

That’s right… time to check the coolant and clean the tank :slight_smile:
Need to get with the proper channels inside DMS and outside to determine what to do with any coolant that is removed and needs to be disposed of.

(this is the top up video - fyi. The hope is that this is all that will be needed to be done.)

1 Like

those numberless locks are a pretty good deterrent. I couldn’t get the damn one in the CA locker to open to save my life and I knew the combination!! :rolling_eyes:

3 Likes

The most common error, and I had this problem, is you have to hold the lock and push UP twice against the shackle. Then do the combo. Most people (my hand is up) tried pushing the center of button down.

The Tag Out/Lock Out device indicates that work is actively being done and the machine should not be run until repairs completed. Most commonly and required by OSHA and Electrical Codes, when working on something electrical so it isn’t accidentally energized.

We really should have some that go over the breaker switches, although technically, if it is in a lockable room not required. But we should have some because someone could pop a breaker elsewhere, go into electrical room to reset the breaker, and flip the wrong switch zapping someone or energizing a circuit that should be off.

Various types: I’ll probably order a couple of these that go over plugs so we can control machines when they are being worked on. One that have a throw switch we can lock out at the machine.

1 Like

I need that cup… lol
I love that LOL

I probably shouldn’t have put that up there. Straying boyfriends and husbands may find significant others ordering them.

2 Likes

Ordering lockout/tagout stuff is an excellent idea! As often as things break in the woodshop, they should have some, too.

Regarding Photomancer’s comment about other uses for the cup lock, there are already products for that. Google “chastity cage” if you dare. But remember that what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Traffic… ugh, be there shortly.

HAAS update:

The tool changer is still down. The alignment procedures were for a VF-2, even for one built the same year as our HAAS… however… it kept saying the adjustment was done with the 4 HHB bolts, and we have 6 HHB bolts. So the good alignment was great for 6 tool changes before going back out.

Now I’m waiting for information back from HAAS about our exact tool changer and VF-2.
Also discovered as we did throughly clean the HAAS, the coolant needs to be completely replaced. This will happen when the HAAS is brought back online.

I’m good with opening panels an quickly getting an understanding of things, but not on something this important. Please all bear with this process another day. I’m expecting to hear back from them tomorrow morning.

Thank you to the five people assisting me clean and inspect the HAAS. Your help kept this work from being an all night affair.

(Also, hoping to hear from our newest member that works on these HAAS Mills for a 9-5)

3 Likes

@rjohnsoniv and @Photomancer – I’ll be teaching the PlasmaCAM class tomorrow until 9:30pm. If y’all are around, I’d like to go over the RFID access system with you after that, or at the next convenient time. I’d really rather not be the single point-of-failure on this system, even if it has been fairly reliable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I got tied up with other things and missed this. I’m still waiting on a return call from HAAS or a return email from out newest member as well.

Time to become the squeaky wheel…

1 Like

Please let me know when you plan to start this work again. I have done similar work to this in the past and might be able to provide some assistance.

Carl

That would be awesome. I will be up there today to look at getting this complete so that the HAAS can be used. Also, it needs to be up so that the classes can once again be taught.

AWESOME - Finally got a reply and the CORRECT procedure from HAAS… what a pain.
I will be at the space in the next hour to finish the HAAS, which includes the completed tool crib for everyone.

Really appreciate all the patience here. I’m sure I’m not the only person that’s waiting on this.

4 Likes

FYI: I’m going through all the donated material and writing up the receipt, that’s my stuff next to the table. As I inventory it I’m for now putting it in the drawers. If not at the table I’ll be in Commons Room. Come get me if you want me to move. out of your way.