HAAS maintenance - down time

I will be in Sunday afternoon and the HAAS will be down for a couple of hours. I need to check and adjust the water/oil mix and make sure the tool offsets for the domino tools are still good as well as replace any worn tools.

3 Likes

Hi Nick

I am on my way to the space now to work on a few projects and will also be in tomorrow. Will be in the wood shop and machine shop. Let me know if you need help.

Cheers

Will

Hey Nick, I’m available at that time to install the tool magazine parts and look at the tool clamp switch also. Let me know. Cheers!

1 Like

thank you both. I don’t really need help on what I’m going to do, but if you don’t know how and want to learn how the spectrometer works or how to set the offsets using a zero block just stop on by. after that I’m just going to cut some parts and check for wear and add compensation if needed. (damn - sounds like the same kind of work I’m doing now without the payday).

Scott - we don’t have the tool changer parts in. I will look at ordering them. worse case scenario we will re-install the old ones soon. I’d really like to set that up for steel.

Tomorrow would be a good time for me to reinstall the old parts. Do we have a replacement button for the tool clamp/unclamp located on the column? That is a safety issue that can be easily resolved.

don’t have it. we’ll add to the order.

the old parts are in the cart that the simulator sits on and in the locked cabinet.

Has the tool changer alignment been corrected?

I have no knowledge about that. Anyone who knew anything about it is no longer with us.
but it’s a good bet the answer is no.

How long have the tool changer parts been removed from the machine?

about a year…

I will add that the current tool changer does throw me the occasional fault mid program and just hitting the zero single axis button usually resolves it. But I wonder if it has anything to do with misalignment in the atc carriage?

Does the fault occur during the tool change?

Yes usually right as the tool is being moved along the X axis into the carriage.

I think it only occurs while the rapids are less than 100% but I’m not fully sure about that

I’ve never had it happen at any rapids speeds. Now - if you’re switching speeds just as it is doing the tool change, that’s another scenerio.

Usually it was when I switched speeds but the last time it happened I didn’t touch anything.

You should be able to change rapid speed during a tool change with no adverse effects. The fact it faults out at a slower speed indicates a problem that 100% rapid hides.

but ya know - I’ve never had it fault out in over a year and while not lately I’m probably the biggest user of the HAAS. There is a small program (tool jog or some such nonsense) that resides with the warm up which basically runs thru all the tools, loads them, pauses, and then then goes on to the next one. I created that to ensure they don’t get sticky. That should be run at the end of a day/week to see if it helps.

What do you mean by sticky?