HAAS: How to schedule the "Domino" Qualification Test

After reading the various HAAS posts, it is unclear to me what steps a member (that has completed the training classes) needs to take to schedule a time to make a domino.

In my particular case, I have completed the CAM process and have .nc files for the qualification test. (I was one of the few that actually used the simulator after Brian’s class, although that’s been many months ago.) As I understand the new process, I need to:

1. Have someone check the .nc files for accuracy – which I’m ready for someone to do, but unsure how to initiate that process.
  2. Run the simulator (again?) I’m not sure if this needs to be done again. If so, I’m willing to be a “Guinea Pig” for figuring out this process, if this is helpful.
  3. Run the HAAS with supervision, but unsure how to schedule this.

I’ve set a goal for myself of trying to be complete by the end of April, if possible.

Thanks is advance,

Phil

1 Like

FYI, they are using a different domino design now. It runs a lot faster, and I’m sure you’ll need to use that one for consistency.

@nicksilva @wandrson

2 Likes

Hi Phil,
well this is a bit of grey area since everything has changed due to losing the software & losing people.
Your design cannot be verified since we can’t open it up in FeatureCam for comparison. The tool set in the hass itself has changed so we can’t simply run your G-code. Sorry to say but we have ALL had to start over. Most importantly the original curriculum has changed from the mind numbing 15 hour 2day class to 2 classes and a private class where you run the domino. The fee structure is now split. $30 for class 1, $25 for class 2 and $20 for class 3 (which goes directly to the person supervising for his/her time).

Now I realize you’ve paid the $75 for the class. As far as I’m concerned you can freely take a class 1 that I do - which right now is Part 1. The Part 2 class is in development still and when it’s ready and once I get trained to teach it, you’re free to sit in. Part 3 will have to be worked out. I’ll be at the machine shop committee meeting Thursday and we’ll add this discussion to the agenda.

For all those who have also taken the original class we as that you be patient. As I said we’ve had a totally new reboot. We will have to verify that you took Bryan’s class and we’ll work it out so you can get caught up with the latest software and design. It’s just going to take some time.

5 Likes

I agree with Nick, if you’ve taken and paid for the class, we want you to retake it get to where you can use the machine. Our goal is to get more people using this machine - it’s a great and unique asset that most people would never access to.

2 Likes

Actually, I took the CAM “re-training” class with Walter a few weeks back and have new .nc files built with HSM. I think these can be verified. (I can upload these files at any time.)

I should add that when I emailed Walter with feedback from the class and training notes, I noted that I think there is a hole in the “bit exact” file verification strategy - that being, the order of the holes 10 holes may vary depending on what order they are selected when using CAM. My hole order clearly deviated from that shown in the class handouts - but all 10 holes were drilled.

Phil

1 Like

ok, that makes more sense then. I think we may be able to get yours run this month. Give me a week to get thru some commitments and we can work out a meeting of the minds. I see your point about the drill path optimization but I understand G-code and can likely follow it to insure nothing bad goes on. It would be good to have the fusion 360 file as well to verify any differences. Just put everything on your member drive and I’ll look at it when I can. Like I said, I need a week or so right now. I’m drowning in work.
Nick

Nick,

First, thanks for being willing to accommodate me. I understand that work can be busy, so get back to me when you can.

As requested, I uploaded the two .nc files and the original .f3d file to the Members drive. (The original Fusion 360 file was fetched from the file server \machineshop\Training\HAAS, but I provided my copy for reference.)

Members Drive (M:) \ Phil Davis \ HAAS Domino Files

Thanks again,

Phil