Haas coolant and other stuff

Hello. The Haas was low on coolant today (evaporation or leakage). We added 5 gallons of pure water as we did not find any coolant to mix with it. We’re still good on the level. We measured at 9-9.5% which is fine but not optimal. I’ll find the right thing to order. It’s not immediate, but I wouldn’t wait too long to get some in. Local sources like MSC or Fastenal would carry what we need.

I would like to build a carrier to hold the CAT40 tool holders. Preferably steel. The plasmaCAM would be perfect for this. So if we have any drops from building the table that will work that would be ideal to use.
Maybe something like this:
I could make one out of delrin but I don’t think it would have the necessary strength. Something better might be one that hangs on the front of the haas. the holes are already there from where one once lived.

Since the table was moved up against the Haas, there is less work surface, but I think that will be resolved once the Simulator is put on a cart.

Our chip bin is getting FULL. we need a new barrel to dump them into. A 55 gallon unlined barrel is about $101 from ULINE unless someone has a line on one we can use. Because the chips are ‘contaminated’ with fluid, we can’t just drop them in the dumpster.

Light is still an issue. I can’t trace the wires since it runs into the back of the Haas. I need Zac or David to let me into the locked back. Or, basically I’m just need to determine the voltage needed for a better light.

Got a full part1 class scheduled for Tueday 4/11 and then another on 5/2. A couple of students are already getting their files to me which I will verify this week (last week was an all out bi*ch).

Cheers!

…edit…
I made this rated G. But, if one of our board members can use the word FUCK in discussions about one of our committee members, I guess I can go ahead and say last week was a BITCH.

2 Likes

There should have been coolant under the Drill press. I can help hash out the tool holder.

As far as the chips, we can get a plastic 55 drum for 20$. The plastic 55 drums are really thick not like the current chip collection. We can then drill holes in the bottom to drain into another basin to recover the coolant.

2 Likes

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/zip/6080849873.html
In Garland…

Sent a PM with combo

Just seems like an awful waste to throw away metal like that. You’d think we could convince blacksmithing to melt them into ingots :slight_smile:

Anyone ever tried compressing them into blocks for later re-use?

1 Like

thank you. I didn’t know it was under the drill press. I’ll check it out Thursday.

thank you. I sent the an email to see if we can score one.

1 Like

DMS Press Channel, baby!
Seriously, that might make the scrap melt easier…
EDIT: apparently, that’s a thing

Sehr schoen, baby!

Where do we get one?

1 Like

You can put just a Delrin surafce on the top to protect the faying surfaces of the tool holders. In fact could put on top and bottom so total thickness is greater and would prevent “leaning” and if metal holes slightly bigger there would be no metal on metal contact