Growing the DFW Maker Movement

Hello Dallas Makerspace Members,

First off, we’d like to introduce ourselves. We are VellemanStore, the official online retailer of Velleman, Inc. Our headquarters is located in Fort Worth, and we are currently focusing on growing the DFW Maker Movement.

In order to do so, we’re reaching out to educators, schools and Makerspaces to see what we can do to help grow the community. So far, feedback has been great! Because of the community, we’ve invested in a line of Arduino-compatible modules and shields, added MadLab electronic kits to our store and will be releasing an assembled version of our Vertex Nano 3D Printer this fall. We’ve been working with schools across the nation to sponsor and provide products for STEM workshops. We’re also teaming up with other major electronics companies to cater more to the Maker Movement.

Now, we’d like to hear from you. What things or events would you like to see? We’re looking to help sponsor more events and organizations, develop products/tools based on local demand and offer special pricing to makers, educators and Makerspace/STEM programs. To start, we’re giving Dallas Makerspace members 10% off our entire store when you use the promo code DALLASMAKERSPACE at checkout.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best,

VellemanStore Team

Note: We reached out to Dallas Makerspace admins and searched the wiki page, bylaws and new user documentation for “company promotion” before posting. We were recommended to post in Off Topic. If this violates any rules, please let us know and we will remove the post immediately.

6 Likes

So who is on the Velleman’s Store Team? Please post pics and names. Dallas Makerspace is a community and it is always nice to know who we are talking to and that we are not talking to faceless corporations.

I’m excited to hear that you want to reach out and possibly support or community. Would you elaborate as to what levels of support you are expecting?

We have a few committees in our group that have event level out reach. VECTOR our arcade restoration group is the first that pops to mind. They display once a year at the 3 day Texas Pinball Festival, a huge arcade festival held locally. There are other festivals/expos similar to this held in other cities that if we had help on signage, transportation and lodging that we could also attend. Demographically there would be some good over lap as this is a community of tinkers and techies as well. Many of the attendants are in tech fields, interested in consumer tech, creator of tech, and hobbyists. The events are also family friendly with child attendance in the 10% to 30%. We even have 2 members of the committee that are arduino hacking machines to add functionality a direct overlap with your product lines. Another member is building full scale arcade machines from scratch which have LED lit features and addition computer controlled functionality additional over lap with your product lines. Would aligning branding and support on this front be what you are wanting?

2 Likes

Good point, Nick. I’m Anthony, the Marketing Coordinator for VellemanStore/Velleman USA. I’ll upload pictures shortly.

As you mentioned, the community is diverse but also has some overlap. Previously, we’ve sponsored STEM workshops and showcased at large events such as Maker Faire and CES. Events that overlap with our product line are really what we are looking for, similar to the Arduino hacking machines and arcade machines member projects (if you have more information on these, feel free to send it over).

Yes. Ideally, we’d like to align branding with our efforts.

Thanks for reaching out to DMS and to educators and makerspaces in general. If you look at posts under the various categories, you can see what some of the interests are.

We have a member considering teaching an Arduino lab series. Details are in the works. Unos, Megas, and related shields may be of great interest.

Lots of possibilities.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear! Since we just invested in our own line of Arduino-compatible modules, boards and shield, we are in the process of liquidating our line of authentic Arduino products (Unos, Megas, Shields, Modules, etc.). If you could get me in touch with this member, I can set them up with an account to access the deeply discounted Arduino products.

-Anthony

Watch for a PM.

pesky 20 char nonsense

2 Likes

Haiku that shit:

So tiring, this
pesky 20 char nonsense!
Why can’t it just stop?

5 Likes

That was beautiful
Responding in Haiku form
Is so addicting

10 Likes

I reached out to @mrcity to post some info on his Arduino hacking of pinball machines. He said that he would post some more info and pictures of their mods.

It would be nice to get some support to make one of the out of state expos. The main support would be truck rental, housing, and signage. We could make a big splash at one of these events and pull in the DFW Pinball group. DMS can bring 12 plus machines and we could possibly pull another 12 from the DFW Pinball group. We could highlight the Arduino Mods and the fully built machines with pull up banners. We would need to produce some mixed brand signage as well. I’m a printer and graphic designer and could help bring the branding of VECTOR, DMS, Dallas Pinball Group and Velleman’s together or work with your marketing team to get it working. Most of these events wave their expo fees if your willing to display and allow your machines to be played. So entry is usually free, and the floor space of 24 machines is HUGE allowing to to make a very big visual impact on the event.

3 Likes

Great! Email any information you have to [email protected] and I’ll discuss it with my team.

-Anthony

Very nice,will be cool to see what comes from this.
I have them to thank for tons of soldering
:smile:

1 Like

how do we get access to your arduino discounted products?

2 Likes

Create an account on VellemanStore and email me at [email protected]. I’ll update the status on your account.

1 Like