Greatest Mystery of the Decade: MH370

While many enjoy novels and movies, I find entertainment in actual events. If you are interested in an ongoing mystery with new info trickling out but unlikely to be solved, this is it. Here are a few of the plot lines:

• On March 8, 2014 a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER checked out with Kuala Lumpur controllers as it left their airspace, went dark, made the first of a number of controlled turns, powered off/on in strange sequence. flew for over six hours and has never been found. It carried 227 passengers and a crew of 12.
  • The airline subscribed to a low budget satellite service that did not track exact location but complex analysis of doppler like RF info and satellite location provided a route thought by most to lead into the South Indian Ocean.
  • A coalition of international experts analyzed this data and were 99+% sure they knew the location of the plane. The search cost over $150 million as they doubled the “certain” search area. They were wrong.
  • Jeff Wise thinks this data was spoofed by an incredibly complex hack to show the plane was going south when it actually flew north to Kazakhstan. A conspiracy theory for sure but I tend to think its possible.
  • How strange is it that Russian backed forces shot down MH17, another Malaysia Airlines 777-200, over Ukraine just four months later? The Russian takeover of Crimea was happening during this time.
  • Specific actions of power off/on caused a sequence of satellite communications events that most/all 777 pilots would not have known about.
  • Many think, “the pilot did it.” Based on Jeff Wise articles, I do not think so in spite of the fact that he had flown a similar route on a personal simulator.
  • It is commonly thought that the whoever was flying the plane depressurized the cabin for over 20 minutes to allow oxygen in the drop down mask system to run out and all in cabin to die. Cockpit crew had a different and longer supply of oxygen. Cabin could have then be repressurized to comfort of the pilot.
  • There have been three or four cases in the last 20 years of airline cockpit crew commiting suicide by crashing the plane. It has always happened within minutes of takeover.
  • The timing from the last normal radio message until the first unusual turn was very short. Could someone aside from the pilot have taken over?
  • A mysterious character with Russian connections who dresses like Indiana Jones has been lucky beyond any statistical probability at finding debris.
  • This guy, Gibson, thinks there is a possiblity that someone scribbled a message and secured it in a bottle that may be found someday. Given his “luck”, I fully expect him to “find it” himself.
  • Barnacle and other residue on recovered debris never seem to match the conditions that would have been present during its long voyage floating in the ocean.
  • This was not a ghost flight where the pilots were unconscious. Numerous changes was activated by an experienced pilot.
  • There has been at least one assassination possibly associated with the investigation and a number of death threats.
  • It is likely that some governments have info that has not been disclosed.
  • If the cockpit voice recorder is found and is usable it will likely be useless unless the culprit verbally left a message in the last two hours. The CVR only maintains the last two hours of sound.
  • If the data recorder is found and is usable it will lilely be useless as well as it will have recorded a working aircraft under control of autopilot or a human pilot flying until fuel was gone.
  • Finding the physical plane will likely reveal little more than details of impact.

A new article is great on facts but Jeff Wise differs a lot on the speculations. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

I have followed http://jeffwise.net/ over the years and largely agree. He shows up on cable news and several magazines. He has a recent and cheap ebook on MH370. http://jeffwise.net/2019/06/28/onezero-the-mystery-behind-the-missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-isnt-solved-yet/#more-6042

Unless the Jeff Wise spoof theory is correct and info leaks, I think we will likely never know much more than what we know now.

All opinions are my own. What do you think happened? Do you think we will ever know for sure?

2 Likes

I was flying in that part of the World around that time, and I can tell you, this one has always spooked me. It just makes no sense, no matter how you look at it. The trajectory and altitude data right after take-off are mind-boggling.

2 Likes

I’m not saying it’s aliens…

3 Likes

Just go to /mh370 on reddit. Save you some time.

1 Like

The passenger list yields a few possible answers

1 Like

Why did the pilot fly a corp. plane into a hanger last week in Addison??