Glazing advice on detailed slip-casting?

Not for what you’re doing, I would just give the underglaze a few hours to dry and then add the clear glaze. But I would try a test piece first.

1 Like

Underglaze doesn’t care if it’s on bisque or greenware. Depends on what technique you’re doing which you want. You could definitely do a wipe and fake it…but that pic you posted definitely looks like cobalt oxide to me with a clear

2 Likes

Various oxide outcomes (intensity depends on the saturation). Trinity sells them. That said, underglaze requires less experimentation because what you see is what you get

If you decide to go with the cobalt under, we’ve got cobalt … um… oxide, or whatever. Cobalt is rock-solid reliable. Especially since you only want the very lightest coat, I’d dilute it according to the jar. Paint on, let dry, wipe off with a lightly damp sponge.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t really want blue - but that’s the photo I could find. I wanted something more like an earth tone in the crevices - tan, or possibly grey.

Can you point me at the chart that you included above?

Also - the Trinity site says to use the underglaze over the clear glaze??

It looks like they’ve given you every possible option for the underglaze. You can put it on greenware (unfired), or bisque ware. You can cover it with a clear glaze, or not. And you can even put it on top of a glaze. Versatile stuff…

For a more grey, I’d use the Smoke Celadon, if we’ve got any currently.

1 Like

That is straight up 3 medium coats of Smoke. One heavy coat Smoke, wiped off the high spots and then clear glazed should (possibly maybe) get you what you want. While the full glaze had slightly green tone that doesn’t show in the pic, I don’t think it would do that in a lighter coat.

1 Like

Julie try a layer of hairspray over the underglaze before the clear glaze Hairspray and spray starch are a must with my glazing supplies.

1 Like

Could you explain why and how you use hairspray and spray starch? What does it do for your project?

Thanks.

Thank you for (repeatedly) emphasizing the importance of doing the test piece. Pam gave me a piece of bisque she was planning to discard, and after trying 12 combinations (albeit all on one piece) I have something I like. But it’s not what I would have initially guessed … so again, thanks for the reminders about the test piece.

2 Likes