Glaze recommendations - Mayco

Hi! I’d love to get into Mayco glazes more. I’m looking at the stoneware glazes- does anyone have any that you’d recommend?
Are the Stoneware Crystal Glazes runny?
Also, I’d like to find a good pearlizing glaze too.

1 Like

What do you mean by pearlizing? Like a luster?

Also, if there are any specific mayco you are wanting to try, I might have it… just let me know :wink:

1 Like

I have a test piece with Mayco crystals that will go into a kiln in a few days. I’d be happy to share too :grinning:

1 Like

The crystals don’t run that much, the standard 1/4" at the bottom should be enough. White Opal is lovely IMHO.

1 Like

4 Likes

Those are a couple of my favorites so far…

Muddy waters…

3 Likes

Also… Go here: https://www.maycocolors.com/index.php/mid-range-glazes/stoneware-glaze-combos#

and here:

3 Likes

Ooo, want to try Blue Surf over green tea.

2 Likes

Me too… I just ordered green tea… Kreuger pottery is having a 25% off sale on Mayco. They always get me!! I don’t remember if I already have Blue Surf though…

2 Likes

I just ordered white opal, do you have a pic to share?

3 Likes

White Opal with Glacier blue left on Cinco blanco. White Opal with Sapphire right (did run!)

7 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I noticed you said that white opal does run, is that correct? The pic looks like it stayed put so I’m interested in what you mean.

Apparently only with Sapphire???

When layered with Sapphire it dripped past the 1/4" allowance.

No it runs when layered, it’s something to be aware of, seems like most glazes do though, so have to take that into account.

1 Like

Here’s another little dish with White Opal and Sapphire on speckled clay.

4 Likes

Wow, that sapphire it really vibrant blue. Is the opal just a shade of white or is it pearly?

Opalescent, don’t know of a pearl cone 5-6 glaze.

I keep hoping someone will come up with one.

1 Like