Glaze recommendation

hi i’m looking for a mid range orange glaze, it doesn’t have to be food safe. does anyone have any recs?

Stroke and coat Orange-a-peel is a solid orange if that is what you are looking for.

1 Like

thanks, yea i guess i’m looking for something with a little more pizzazz than stroke and coat.

There are a couple newer floating glazes from Spectrum and there is a really nice orange one…

3 Likes

Are you looking to put it on texture? Or are you wanting something more opaque?

thanks so much this looks awesome! i’m wanting to put it on the inside of a bowl that i’ve carved, so there is some texture.

1 Like

Oh that’s cute :slight_smile: Yeah, you might look around to see if its cheaper somewhere else… I just picked the first picture I found of it and maybe you could find it for less than $16?

I’ve used a mayco red orange but it’s pretty stable… you could use flux to get some movement

1 Like

This tangelo celadon could work too it would be transparent enough to have your design on the bottom show through clearly.I just don’t know if this is the shade of orange you are looking for?

Neat, I think that would look cool in Chai Shino.

2x Chai Shino, not sure if you’d call it orange, but looks good to me.

1 Like

Gloss or matte?

This is amaco’s on speckle clay

2 Likes

I’d be going with the celadon for that. Your carving in the bottom is pretty shallow, and not enough texture for the 'breaking" glazes to break over. Do you have time for a test tile? I’d do a test tile with maybe the Shino next to the Celadon. Otherwise, I’d stick with the Celadon.

I don’t know whether the Shino and the Celadon are close enough to look good next to each other. If they do, then the Shino on the walls, where your texture is deeper, and the Celadon in the bottom so that you can still see that.

You could also use underglazes.

Flame Orange underglaze