Glaze Recipe/Possible Class Tie In Discussion

Not sure if this would be event or if I’d just buy the materials, make it, test and IF that works get reimbursed but here is the glaze recipe I was going to make up 1.5 gallons of and leave - Clear Gloss.

@JacobD was testing clear and white recipes prior to COVID on all of our clay bodies.

Jacob, did your testing get complete? Do you want to share results and recipes?

Please share on another post :+1:

Have moved discussion of Glazes to this topic. :+1:

1 Like

Sorry April…just reread your post about keeping classes separate from other items.

1 Like

Thanks !!!

No worries :v:

Tagging @Anette_Henningson, @cmcooper0 I think this would be an event/demo? Wasn’t there something like this before?

I’ve done this both as a low key (non-honorarium) new glaze event and as a full glaze preparing and application (honorarium) class. I think it depends on how much someone is interested in the teaching part.

I think classes that get into the chemistry of glaze are super interesting and there are definitely techniques to be learned on building a glaze from scratch. Couple that with some instruction+tips on dip glazing and I think you’ve got a pretty solid offering. If you really want to seal the deal on it being a robust learning experience, have a few groovy style options that people can experiment with to go along with the new glaze. Aesthetic variations: wax resist/taping with layers, using both matte and gloss for texture variations. You know, all that stuff I love but am too lazy to fuss with, heh.

But it’s also super easy to just run as a fun event where people get together and try something new, sharing ideas and methods casually between each other. Both are super excellent and I can’t wait until I can be back up there to frolic with folks.

2 Likes

Was this paid with dms funds, or did members contribute?

When I taught a full class to go along with new glazes, I used the honorarium (and in the case of expensive macro glazes with hard hitting kiln use, an additional small class fee) to cover the costs and left the remaining glaze on-site for people to use. If I felt it wasn’t unique enough for a class and just wanted to try some new things, I think I ran at least one where we charged a fee on the calendar system, used that to purchase the glaze, and then made the leftovers available. When I did it as a casual fun-time thing, I fronted the cost of the glazes and just asked folks to throw me a few bucks to cover their individual use and kept the remaining glaze at home.

1 Like

Thanks Christy!!! Hope this helps @AvalancheOfFox

I did complete the tests (1 clear and 1 white) but had some crazing. I can post pics later. I wasn’t super happy about it.

@AvalancheOfFox I bought enough raw ingredients to make 3 gallon batches of each (approx) I have almost 5 lbs of:

Silica (325 mesh)
EPK
Frit 3134
Wallastonite
Custer Feldspar
Zircopax

And 1 lb of magnesium sulfate.

I don’t currently see myself using any of it for a while and wouldn’t mind selling it for steep discount.

2 Likes

Are you thinking of using premeasured ingredients or showing people how to weigh them out. Do you have a scale?
We use to have a scale at DMS but I have not seen it sine the massive clean out a couple years ago.

Also, can you confirm before scheduling if the ingredients used require a respirator. Some powdered ingredients are very dangerous.

1 Like

Hey Jacob,

I’ll totally take the chemicals off your hands! Are you planning on being at the space this week? Otherwise, would be happy to come to your storage over the weekend.

First step I was thinking was just going to be me buying and mixing a batch myself and testing on some of my own stuff to make sure I’m not giving people a crappy glaze or bad info. Assuming the the tests come out okay, I think the next logical step would be when the glaze gets low in quantity to host an event where we go over how to measure glaze gravity, how to scale out ingredients, how to mix, etc. Basically all of the upkeep that would be required if we want to keep a big bucket of gloss clear or whatever around. I am far from an expert in mixing glazes so anyone with more experience, feel free to chime in :slight_smile:

Regarding scales, yes I have some of my own. Respirators: going to err on the side of caution and require them just because I do not know which powdered ingredients are dangerous or not so going to be treating it as if they all are. Again, will likely buy my own respirator just bc sharing one in COVID times seems… questionable. Would ask anyone coming to the event or anything to either use a DMS respirator or buy at Home Depot/Lowes/whatever. The one’s I’m seeing on Amazon are running ~$30 which I am more than happy to drop.

2 Likes

Yeah – I would be using a respirator when mixing glaze. While the silicon isn’t toxic, your lungs Never Get Rid of any that you breathe, so not breathing silicon is a Good Thing.

My random, quasi-uneducated opinion is that there shouldn’t be any toxic chemicals in a clear or a white. YMMV…

Thank you for the update, I appreciate your time in looking into this. What type of training do you have in mixing glaze ingredients?

I put some pieces on the glaze fire shelf over the weekend and am just waiting for them to be fired to come in. I’ll probably be in this weekend (Saturday) regardless though if that works.

3 Likes

I’m really excited about this learning endeavor. And Anita, if you want to stand by as an experienced observer to oversee the project, I’m sure Ross (and crew) would love to have you!

2 Likes