GlassWorks Committee Meeting notes 2/19/19

GlassWorks Committee Meeting 2/19/2019

Our meeting was started with an expansion update, I also requested of the GlassWorks committee to please not get involved in all the misinformation on Talk in reference to the expansion. Please let the members on the expansion team, and the board take care of this.

Due to the current expansion challenges we expect it to take a lot long than expected for GlassWorks to get into their new space. We are looking at options to make classes easier on the teachers, and more efficient storage options.

Classes have scaled back partly due to toting heavy boxes of glass, equipment, and tools in and out of classrooms. This is is a very unpleasant chore for our teachers, James Henningson and Anita Willis will be talking with other DMS chairs and outside vendors to see if we can come up with some solutions.

Our new kiln is in! I will be doing some test fires soon and getting some project class on the calendar once test are completed. There were a couple of delays due to my schedule, and wall a wall electrical socket had to be changed out.

The wiring in the large kin was changed out so it will now operate on 208v. I am testing the large kiln for a bottle slumping project classes. The first firing was set 10 degrees lower than I usually slump bottles and still fired to hot. I purchased witness cones this weekend to get a better idea of what is going on with this kiln. I plan to do 2nd bottles test soon.

The Ceramic Dept has been a great help in letting us operate our kilns out of their space. I really appreciate their coordinating with me on this. Firing the large kiln must be scheduled in advance with them. They currently have a lot of firing for their member so this must be taken into consideration with our upcoming test and classes.

We currently need clear and clear green wine bottles, and clear and clear green beer bottles. If you have some to donate please leave them on microwave cabinet in the interactive room. Please just leave a few we don not need a large amount. We do not need any brown beer bottles.

If you have any questions or concerns about GlassWorks please contact me at @meanbaby on talk.

5 Likes

I have some cones if you need them. In the second drawer of the brown file cabinet in science.