Glass and Porcelain Bottle Cutting

Hi there, I’m pretty new to the group and was wondering if there’s anyone who can help me cut glass bottles? (And if there is even a machine for it.) I have some liquor bottles I want to cut open to make vases etc…

2 Likes

Okay, first off I will be the first to admit that I do not know if there is a bottle cutter in Glassworks (something I’ve been wondering about myself actually). The best person to get that information from would be @PearceDunlap.
However, I know that you can find glass bottle Cutters on Amazon for under $50 (usually between $20 and $45).
That being said, if Glass Works does not have one I would suggest that it should go on the agenda for the next committee meeting. It would open up a world of possibilities. Just a idea/suggestion being that it’s quite affordable.

As always, I would suggest starting with YouTube (no reason in trying to reinvent the wheel) because I have found A LOT a videos about using a bottle cutter for round, square and even odd shaped glass bottles. There are even videos about using a soldering iron to cut odd shapes into bottles.
Having theoretical knowledge without hands-on experience can help immensely on a new project. I know this from experience, LOL.
The other thing I would suggest, as was suggested to me, try to get some throwaway bottles to practice with. Facebook marketplace, 5 miles, offerup, craigslist, Etc are a great place for this because I always see somebody selling 15 or 20 empty bottles for $15 or $20 but will usually take a $10 offer.
If for some odd reason you can’t find any there, there’s always Trader Joe’s and the four Buck Chuck bottles as well.

1 Like

There is a bottle cutter​:+1: It was on the counter near the grinders…if not there…possibly look in the unlocked cabinets in glass :eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah. One of the drawers says that there’s a bottle cutter there. I’m thinking it’s only to score bottles, yes? Anything faster that we might have would be our wet band saw. Which currently has “issues”.

1 Like