Gif or Jif can the arguments finally be settled

image https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/200224082523-20200221-jif-gif-medium-plus-169.jpg

4 Likes

If we’re supposed to pronounce it with a hard g because the G in GIF stands for graphics, that means that since the p in jpeg is for photograph it should be j-feg.

7 Likes

my rationale for my pronunciation is giraffe on top of the creator of the format having defined its pronunciation when it was made.

Fight me.

3 Likes

The letter “g” comes close to following a phonics rule similar to the one for the letter “c.” For example, it is always pronounced /g/ unless it is followed by an “e,” “i” or “y.” Thus, we have game , got , and gum , as well as glad , grand , and rugby . And, as with the “Rule of c,” it’s true that the letter “g” makes the /j/ sound only when followed by “e,” “i” or “y,.” Unfortunately, however, you can’t be certain that it will be pronounced /j/. In some such cases “g” still makes the /g/ sound.

1 Like

Someone should /j/ive you a /j/ift for posting this!:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My OCD wants this image to be a GIF vs JPG.

1 Like

Very specific advertising run but I like it. I’ll be getting the GIF jar if I ever see it.

Gif will win over Jif because it reads like Gif. Gift, Girth, Git - all hard G. People hidebound by Jif tradition will die off.

Now, can we settle the pronunciation of the town Sanger?
Rhymes with Danger and Ranger, right? :laughing:

2 Likes

Nah. You can choose to be wrong. It’s OK.

3 Likes

Mexia, Refugio, Rio Vista, Boerne, Gruene, Humble

“The road goes on forever and the party never ends”

3 Likes

It’s french so some of the letters are silent. it’s pronounced
“eef”

“Bexar” vexes me…

You can hide from the truth all you want, but that will not help you in the final showdown.

1 Like

Funny, that sounds more like: “The English language is broken. Clearly the solution is to break it more.”

What’s hard about “Beckser”

:laughing:

1 Like

Waco and Taco?
Cairo, Egypt and Cairo, IL?

1 Like

Or how about Mexia or Italy, TX…don’t show up down there & call it like the country. Or so I’ve been told.

“Bear”

My Dad, who admittedly messed with folks minds on occasion, told me that when Mr. Bear sold his land, he was illiterate. They read the contract to him and told him to make “his mark”. His mark was an “X” that happened to fall between the “e” and “a” instead of to the side. One transcription error later it was forever known as “Bexar”.

3 Likes

I’d also suggest not showing up to Paris, Texas referring to it as “Gay Paree.”

1 Like

Lol. I was in Paris last week. Wouldn’t say it that’s for sure.

1 Like