Generator and Welder for portable welding

Does the group have any recommendations for a generator, mig welder, spot welder, etc as mentioned below that would be compatible for doing mobile welding work?

In the near future (this summer) I will likely be stripping the Mini completely and performing welding repairs and full panel replacements. I plan to run a spot welder, a mig welder, a grinder, lighting, etc off of a generator. All of this work will be performed off site at my storage unit since I don’t have a truck and trailer to get everything to/from DMS everytime I want to perform some work. I also live in an apartment, so storage is already being used for my existing maintenance work. The storage manager has already approved this work, so I’m clear for that.

I don’t know what my budget would be, but something that meets minimal viability requirements as an entry-level welder that gets good penetration is all I see myself needing. Most of the body panels are 1-2mm thick and I will be doing plug welds, butt welds on some gaps, and spot welding where necessary.

I would be buying these outright and either keeping or selling them after I’m finished with the restoration. If the price proves to be too high, then of course I might consider just bringing the body to a shop to have the repairs performed, but I doubt many places in DFW exist that have experience with British vehicles and are also affordable. Plus I like to do things myself whenever possible as a learning experience.

I know this topic opens a can of worms, but I’m here to learn :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

1 Like

If it were me? I’d get a generator and a budget TIG welder. It will suite you better for the thin stuff than MIG/Flux Core, and will also let you do spot welds pretty easily.

I’ll let others weigh in on the generator side of things, but the Lincoln low end TIG welder lineup all run well on generators and most of them run at 120V or 220V for the lower amperage type welding you’ll be doing.

All told maybe $750 on a generator and $2000 on a welder?

2 Likes

I’ve never used a TIG but I’d love to learn. I see some welding time in my future if I can find a class, if those are happening anymore…

1 Like

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5E5KTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_E84JQJKDX5D335WDJTYA

Me? I’d go with Miller, Lincoln, or one of the other main brands (Hobart, E-Saab, etc). I used to work for Lincoln so I’m biased there.

For $1800, go buy a used real welder off ebay or Craigslist and get a harbor freight generator before you go the cheap welder route.

3 Likes

I own a ESAB Rebel 235. I’ve enjoyed it. Esab did just release the 205ic, it does ac tig as well.

Great machines and easy to tote.

Last I knew some of the HF generators included direct clones of Honda engines. You might want to research. Costco has a pretty impressive tri-fuel generator on the shelf right now - you might find it easier to resell later and their warranty can’t be beat…

1 Like

If it were me, I’d stay away from the mig welders with the click 1-4 settings. In my experience your metal may need an in between voltage settings. This is not a problem for experienced welders but can be for the inexperienced. It can be frustrating with sheet metal to get your heat “just right”. You might consider putting copper welding spoons behind your welds if you can get them there. This will help get rid of the excess heat as well as enable you to fill holes.

1 Like

Well, with the vaccine out there, we should see @malcolmputer back in 2-3 months. @rlisbona is capable of teaching TIG as well, but he’s got this day job thing going. Keep your eye on the Calendar.

1 Like

Tig welding class submitted for this coming Sunday at 2. I think it will show up Saturday on the calendar. The submitting classes thing still confuses me, not sure it is up to 72 hours before it shows up or exactly 72 hours.

It’s a “not to exceed” 72 hours sort of thing. All of the people on the honorarium committee? Calendar committee? Education committee? whoever they are have an option to deny the class during the 72 hours, and if they fail to do so it’s “approved”. If you really needed the class to show up for some technical reason an admin can force approve the class for you, but normally that’s not needed.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class#What_happens_after_I_click_Submit.3F

Generally discouraged for a variety of reasons…

2 Likes

Got it. 72 hour window to reject the class or it shows up makes sense now. That’s just about how far I feel like I can plan in advance, or before I get the oh crap I need to get that submitted nudge.

2 Likes

I’d recommend spending some YouTube time watching Fitzee’s Fabrications channel. Lots of good practical tips on repairing automotive panels.

I don’t work on cars but I still find the channel educational.

1 Like

Are you working outside?? that kind of takes the MIG and TIG off the table if you are.

I would be working in a storage unit using a generator to power the welder.

MIG with fluxcore wire (or wire welding, I guess, since no gas is used) works outside. I bought my welder specifically for “farm welding” and always use it outdoors (too much flammable hay IN the barn).

Don’t be surprised when the owner of the storage unit shuts you down - I suspect they won’t like the fire risk, the generator noise, or the clutter.

But still a valid concern “just in case”…

1 Like

There are multiple units of folks that work on motorcycles, cars, etc so the noise isn’t a concern. She’s actually interested in seeing our projects succeed, but I do take your point.

1 Like