General Rant about Safelite Red Light Cameras

How many of you have “California Rolled” through a red light on a right turn on red situation? How many times have you not come to a complete stop?

Well if you do this at Ledbetter/Loop 12 and Lancaster you’ll get a “NOTICE OF VIOLATION”. Now with a little research I’ve determined that this is a Civil Notice and not a criminal one.
According to State Law the city cannot: 1)Issue an arrest warrant 2) Submit anything to your insurance company 3) submit anything to a credit bureau or 4) Force you to pay. The only thing that they can do is inhibit your registration because the county can force you to pay the violation fees. Most counties, however, will NOT even enforce this process.

My question is: Has anyone else received one of these “NOTICES” and just chunked it into the trash. I hear that the credit collection agencies will try to intimidate you into paying but can’t really force you to and after a while will just give up.

Food for thought as I’m going to pay mine. It was the wife’s car and I definitely don’t want her having any trouble registering it.

They said that about the toll tag too but things change. If the municipalities vote to uphold it as law you can and will be issued a proper ticket and bench warrant.

It is controversial to say to the least. It is a private entity (not even of the same country some times) on behalf of the municipality that issues the fine. You do not have an accuser nor can you dispute the fine. Because they can not say it was you driving they fine the person the vehicle is registered too. Which is the reason it can’t affect you personally (legally/credit) and all they can do is prevent the vehicle with the violation from being registered. You can’t even get the fine transferred to a different person with admission of guilt.

Credit collection will only take you to civil court if its for an amount they feel is worth the money to do so. Otherwise their agents will just hound you till they feel they have lost money trying to collect and sell it to another agency who will then do the same. Given enough time they will all determine its not worth the effort and give up…I did have a collection agency call me about a Southwestern Bell bill from the late 90s when I was a teenager some 15 years later.

Parking tickets fall into this legally grey area too.