General questions

Hi, I recently got divorced, took a break from work and hiked the Appalachian Trail for the past 6 months. I am thinking about joining and I would like to know how long it would take for me to get enough clearance to use the equipment (miter saws, nail guns, sanders, table saws, and the cnc machine) I am pretty well versed in all but the cnc. Is there a class schedule out there and is there any chance I could get on the cnc to make an arcade cabinet for my kids before Christmas?
In y’all’s opinion is this a good substitute for a garage (that I no longer have) workshop?

This is all about woodshop, so I’m going to tag @Team_Woodshop for you.

As I understand, we’re kind of at a standstill on the Multi-cam CNC router. The guy that was teaching all the classes is high-risk, so nobody is currently teaching the Multi-cam. They seem to be doing pretty good on teaching the other machinery in Woodshop, but the CNC? They can speak directly to that, but that seems to be what I’ve read.

Dude, how’d you like the trail? It’s a goal of mine to do before I turn 35 or 40 at the latest. Don’t think I’ll make 35 but 40 for AT and 45 for PCT maybe.

Edit: oh right your questions:

I am thinking about joining and I would like to know how long it would take for me to get enough clearance to use the equipment (miter saws, nail guns, sanders, table saws, and the cnc machine) I am pretty well versed in all but the cnc.

Probably a week or two after you join. There were woodshop classes posted with openings last time I looked at the schedule.

Is there a class schedule out there and is there any chance I could get on the cnc to make an arcade cabinet for my kids before Christmas?

Doubt it. Haven’t seen any CNC classes recently. You could maybe use the laser to mark out where to cut and then do it by hand or router with a template.

In y’all’s opinion is this a good substitute for a garage (that I no longer have) workshop?

It’s better! My garage had crappy tools. This one has actually nice tools and you get access to the rest of the space to boot.

In my opinion, an arcade cabinet without access to the Multicam can be done, it just depends how much time you’re willing to dedicate to the task.

Even if there was a class available to get you access to the cnc, there’s still a pretty big learning curve, and then there’s the task of assembly, debugging the arcade, and anything to beautify the cabinet.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, we have some seriously skilled people around the space, but a deadline of a couple weeks is a daunting task.

Think of the space as a marathon, not a sprint.

It has to be. You say you’re going to go to the space for an hour or two Sunday afternoon and then stroll back through your door at like midnight. I don’t know where the time goes but I enjoy every second of it.

The woodshop basic will get you setup to use the table say, jointer, planer and go over the sanding and chop saw and bandsaws safety. There is one spot left for today’s class in the afternoon. If you attend , you will be setup to use the tools mentioned by the end of the day.

1 Like