General Advice for buying a used laser cutter?

I’ve been considering getting a small desktop laser cutter and I see them used in the area sometimes. However, as I’m not an expert at lasers, I am not sure what to look for when buying used. Other than having them run a demo of the unit, is there anything I should be looking out for when buying a used laser? or would you generally avoid buying a used laser?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Hi Mitch,
It all is really based on the price. The laser tube on a cutter has a life span and it isn’t easy to tell how much life is still in the tube. So I would suggest that consider buying a used machine with the intent to be that you will be replacing the laser tube. Find out the cost to buy a new tube and subtract that from what you are willing to pay. That way in the scenario that you get a great laser and the tube turns to crap in a month because there is some issue or it is worn out, you are able to repair and keep using your tool.

My 2c

Thanks. The one I’m looking at right now is one of those cheap chinese 40w lasers. The tube replacement is about 150 bucks. Maybe I can talk him down some on his price.

I could be talked into selling my FSE hobby laser.

Alyssa

What would you want for it?

$1400

Thanks,

Alyssa

A bit out of my price range at the moment. Might have the cash in March.

Unfortunately the one I was looking at got bought. The guy I was talking to mentioned something about the Dallas Makerspace so I think someone on here probably bought it. Oh well, next time.

I have a few friends who have bought the cheap 40 watt ones off of ebay, with good success. They are basically identical to the old FSL machines with crappier software. It will really all depend on what you want to do with it and how much you care about “good” software and support.

Just search for 40 watt laser engraver and you can find plenty of them.