Gauging Interest - RepRap 3D Printer Build Class V2

I got it to install rep firmware, but i guess the ramps fd has some issue with the lcd screen not working after install.

1 Like

Iā€™ve spent hundreds of hours hands-on with with a stock Ultimaker 2 and it was completely rubbish. Slow, inaccurate, unreliable, and overall a kludge. Bowden tubes are inherently problematic and have unavoidable backlash on the extrusion which is a deal breaker for many otherwise printable designs. I strongly encourage you to look elsewhere. If you stick with it, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thats great info Luke. Thanks for sharing.

Another option i like is the rostock max by seemecnc. They provide all the cut files to use on the laser cutter. I have a mini kossel so I have gone through many hours of delta configuration training.

Depending on the lcd screen, it is probably 5v and your arduino due is 3.3v so it wont work out of the box.

IMHO, a sturdy metal frame negates any issues with a direct drive extruder above the hot-end itself and Iā€™d not think in terms of a Bowden setup either.

If nothing else I wonder if we could do a bulk buy of framing extrusion? It would be handy to have some around available by the foot backed by the usual donation approach. Iā€™m new to DMS and not at all sure if that works well (Iā€™ve no history) nor what committee might take something like that on. Maybe 3dfab?

I would be interested just to watch and lend a hand, but I do have most of the parts for second printer.

Iā€™ve built a Graber i3 (think Prusa with laser/CNC parts instead of printed parts/threaded rods) Ramps/Atmega, raspberry pi, octopi. A few parts are ā€œupgradeableā€ to printed Prusa parts once itā€™s built. Comes in 2 flavors, ATX, or slim type power supplies.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Graber_i3

-Andy

1 Like