Garland to Raze Armory - Build Dog Skate Park - Mayor Resigns

Fact Check Much?

I will even help you out and give you a link…
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Annual_Member_Meeting_20170423

1 Like

Also: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Annual_Member_Meeting_20160414

I feel like sometimes we need a full time fact checker on Walter.

EDIT: For those that don’t want to read through the wiki – David had the most votes, followed by a tie between Kris and Alex.

And the election from the year before had a board member elected with more votes than Walter had this year.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yes, sorry, your husband had a few more votes then I did with 60% more voters. But for your ‘fact checking’ I will remind you that still represents about 6% of the members. So my point that the board are elected by a SMALL minority is actually confirmed by your post.

Removed the censors

A fallacious argument, since we already have multiple rules that prevent people from electing someone they may want. For instance 1. New member not allowed. 2. Family add on not allowed.

Another fallacious argument, since I have already demonstrated conclusively that EVERY board member we have EVER had was elected by a minority of members. Heck our system is designed to allow board elected even if a minority of VOTERS select them. All they need is enough votes to place them in the top five of those voted for,

So lets be honest here, it seems that the only minority that you are concerned about is the one that opposes you or your colleagues. Sounds like a purely political argument…

I wasn’t getting into your POINT. All I’m doing is showing that --YET AGAIN-- you just make things up. And unfortunately, you’re one of our most active members on this forum. Maybe people believe the things that you say and don’t realize you have a history of making things up to “prove your points” even when you might not need to.

You also always refer to my relationship with Alex anytime I challenge you on it in an effort to belittle my stance and reframe it as that of partner with rose colored glasses. I am a long time member who has put in a lot of time and effort into this organization. When I was more active, I’m sure you could find other active members that would attest that Alex and I disagreed all the time. I also sometimes disagree with him as a board member. I also sometimes disagree with other board members. I’m also sometimes proven wrong. What a concept!

Our organization is a beautiful thing and I love the shifts in perspective it’s provided for me over the years. Just as an example, for this board’s fist meeting I think I had some worries about the new meeting format and how little it seemed people were allowed to speak. I think perhaps that first meeting was just a little rough as people were pulling out of old habits and Kris was trying to set the tone. After watching the last board meeting I take that back. I was wrong. I really like the new format.

See how easy the “I was wrong” was? But do you see what you did up above? You take zero responsibility for MAKING UP FACTS and instead shift the subject to the Secretary’s note taking ability? An off topic jab at Robert.

I’m just so tired of you bullying people Walter. I don’t know what pleasure it could bring you but I’d like you to know, in case no one has told you- this forum would be a better place without all that garbage.

10 Likes

:blankspace:
You are mistating the facts. I may not have perfect recall, but just like the example your quoting when I post numbers they are in the close ballpark. So, my statement that I had more votes then ANY prior board member was off by TWO votes… EXACTLY ONE prior board member had more votes than I achieved in the prior election. He had 60 while I had 58… I believe the substance of the statement still holds.

BTW, I refer to relationships when challenging posts, because that is relavent to the topic. If you are defending Alex, or attacking someone relating to Alex, your relationship to him is relevant.

And if you cared about your statement, you could easily find posts of mine where I admitted I was wrong, but that wouldn’t fit your argument.

Actually David had more votes than I did. :blush:

3 Likes

Ah, you are correct, and I was wrong about who got the most votes in the last election.

1 Like

A minority of eligible DMS members elect to become voting members and a surprisingly number of them opt not to vote in Board elections. If we desire more representative Board members, improving participation would go a long ways.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

There’s certainly a fallacy at work here. The fallacy, is the notion that you are engaging in this lobbying because you genuinely want to improve DMS or some aspect of our governance. In fact, what you are doing is engaging in electioneering intended to blockade the re-election of members you don’t like, because you feel they offended you. Your record is certainly clear on that point.

2 Likes

When did you become psychic that you KNOW why I am doing anything?

I waited about four months to observe DMS before I started making ‘noise’. What I learned in those four months was that we simply ignored rules and the law when we wanted. So I slowly started having quiet conversations with board members at the time raising some of the issues I saw; conflict problems, recording votes, etc…

What I received was vitriol and attacks. So I increased my vociferousness about the problems. The result? We have made considerable progress in many of those areas, though we still have lots of room for improvement.

1. Board members now ACTUALLY recuse themselves when there is a conflict, though they rarely follow our rules when they do.
  2. Board members no longer kick members out of the building when they have the temerity to annoy them and call it a ‘temporary’ ban
  3. The board is at least pretending to try and follow the by laws/law, though there are plenty of examples of them failing in that area (secret meetings on hangouts, and formal complaints with the intent of stripping another board member of her authority).

So yes, my record is clear. I have always opposed folks abusing their authority and made attempts to correct said abuse.

Elections are a basic tool of fixing an organization. And while I agree that term limits would be a good thing, I am not the one who brought them up. I simply pointed out your self-dealing fallacious arguments to oppose the idea.f

Remove the censors

1 Like

Unless I read the title wrong, we are way off topic here

10 Likes

2 Likes

A lot of folks simply do not care, do not want to be involved, etc.
As long as they can come in and do what they want/need to do, they call it good.
When something interferes with that, then comes the demands for change, rant and rave, complaints, etc.
It appears that a large percentage of our membership doesn’t bother to educate/familiarize themselves with how DMS operates and how individual committees work.
Given the ruckus the happened in Electronics concerning classes having priority, I thought there would be an increased attendance for the Electronics Committee mtng. 4 people showed up and 7 votes/proxies counted. Makes me seriously wonder about the motivations behind one of the complaints that will be entertained this Fri. And no, the person who filed that complaint did not attend the committee mtng. Some what disappointed, but kept things simple and short.

Like in any other election
If you don’t vote
You lost your right to gripe.

Yes…a wayward thread indeed.

3 Likes

Moderator?
We don’t need no stinkin’ moderator :fearful::crazy_face::sushing_face:

1 Like

No interest in the politics, just came to this thread hoping to see dogs on skateboards.

12 Likes

If you re-frame that, a surprisingly large majority of DMS members choose not to participate in DMS politics. Taken a small step further, not participating in board elections would appear to be part of DMS’ culture, community, and values.

3 Likes

Instead, you found this

3 Likes