Garland to Raze Armory - Build Dog Skate Park - Mayor Resigns

5 Likes

Whoa! Not expecting thatā€¦

1 Like

Well???

7 Likes

Dogs > need for National Guard?

1 Like

@Ferman, the national guard hasnā€™t been there for a while. This was the infamous Garland DMS satellite location that was being forced through.

3 Likes

Interesting turn of events. I know that a PAC is being formed to oust two council members. Partially related to the dog/skate park.

1 Like

Garland has for awhile been known as a bit sketchy in their city government. It seems to be inherent in their leadership. Their soccer association has been a continuous car wreck for awhile.

Iā€™m announcing that I will be resigning as mayor in the very near future. I will give you the effective date in the very near future.ā€

Athas said he would not call a special election to choose his successor. So the next mayor will be elected in May of next year.

I am willing to bet he never resigns and also runs again next year. No particular inside information or insight is driving my belief, only that it is the exact opposite of what he said he would do.

3 Likes

Yep he is not resigning at all ā€¦ he is simply grandstanding and ā€˜saysā€™ heā€™s not running again.

Of course now, we are assuming this reporter can actually get facts right!:thinking:

I believe he is term limited from running again. Not sure, but I thought he said that when we met with him.

That describes pretty much every city government I have ever dealt with.

Politics, folks, it is a dirty business.

4 Likes

This story has been in the news on several radio stations all day.

Definitely something the Space needs

6 Likes

Generally, when people begin calling for term limits, it means the people they like arenā€™t winning seats.

And you should be aware - a term limit is not a restriction on a candidate - itā€™s a restriction on who you are allowed to vote for. Candidates canā€™t take seats unless they are voted in by a majority of voters.

1 Like

I heard the report today on 660 AM again this morning. Looks like the mayor has decided to put pressure and spotlight on the decision.

This ainā€™t over yet.

Benjamin Franklin (one of the greats that proposed term limits),

In free Governments the rulers are the servants, and the people their superiors & sovereigns. For the former therefore to return among the latter was not to degrade but to promote them. And it would be imposing an unreasonable burden on them, to keep them always in a State of servitude, and not allow them to become again one of the Masters.

Lawrence W. Reed President of the Foundation for Economic Education suggests a modern interpretation of Benjamin Franklinā€™s Quote,

When politicians know they must return to ordinary society and live under the laws passed while they were in government, at least some of them will think more carefully about the long-term effects of the programs they support. Their end-all will not be re-election, because that option will not be available.

10 Likes

[quote=ā€œTapper, post:14, topic:27885ā€]
Generally, when people begin calling for term limits, it means the people they like arenā€™t winning seats.
[/quote

I prefer a max of two terms for a board member with a 4 or 5 year lapse in the event he or she opts to run again.

4 Likes

I term-limited myself to one term. Iā€™m satisfied with this policy.

10 Likes

It can also mean they are unhappy with the pool of available candidates.

Or they are tired of career politicians

Or they could feel that one or more board members arenā€™t doing what they promised they would.

Oh, and lets not forget, Kris, who achieved the most votes was still elected by less than 10% of the members. Which means that, to use your own words, all board members were elected by a vocal minority. Hell, even though I wasnā€™t elected, I had more votes then any prior elected board member. Indeed, I believe Luke was the only sitting board member to ever fail to be relelected, and demonstrably so. Which given that was likely because of support of Brandon and his ā€œI want to drive away inappropriate membersā€, shows just how bad andl existing board member needs to be to be ousted. With less then 10% of our membership voting, we hardly have a democratic process.

Removed the censors

1 Like

I agree there can be lots of reasons, sensible or not, for wishing someone wasnā€™t on the board. But the remedy being discussed is:

Members are not allowed to vote for someone they want, if they have served more than X terms. iā€™ll also point out, that term limits are proposed to allow minority (and often the most extreme) voters, the ability to remove effective leaders that the majority voters like, and that is certainly the case here.