FYI: Tanners has a Dell Netbook for $55

Dell Companion Pro Netbook
Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM
80GB HD, Win 7 Pro SP1 License
$55

They have a good supply of them available at that price.

5 Likes

are they zippy and the experience you expect for a 1.6Ghz system?

What is sad is that they are probably better than what we have currently in the Electronics Room.

I have an Acer Aspire One that I need to replace with an upgrade, but this Dell looks like it has about the same specs.

They are the old style Atom processor, so not “zippy”, but fine for browsing, emailing, etc.

I used to have an Asus of similar vintage and specs, and it was ok for RDP, browsing, emailing and use as a console for Cisco boxes.

Thanks for the tip. It may finally be time to replace my 7 year old Asus that has an unchargeable battery and a screen that is barely still attached.

• Windows 7 Pro
  • 1 GB Memory
  • Atom 1.6GHz processor, surely single-core

That’s not going to be a good time without some changes. Having owned something similar in years past sporting WinXP, I suggest spending whatever it takes to max out the memory if at all possible (machines of that era ought be able to run at least 2GB). Or running some other OS.

Almost worth it just to grab the Windows license, especially since it will be a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out…

That’ll be an OEM licence, which is activation-locked to the device’s mobo.

But M$ has stated that even pirated copies of windows will get an upgrade to 10, so you may as well go that route =P

Looked at this on Tuesday. Was told there would be 2G version available in near future. Same 90 day warranty. Interested in that upgrade. Got the impression the 2G was also $55.

You can download the installation media from Digital River and use telephone activation with the OEM license. :slight_smile:

There are many sub-$100 laptops on Craigslist that may be better than these. I have a couple of the Aspires, about the same specs, and they barely run Linux very well even with 2GB of ram. Windows NEVER runs well at minimum specs…

If someone gets one of these and wants some more ram, shoot me a picture of it and I may have some 1GB sticks…$5/GB if I have the right kind.

The only problem is that netbooks tend to only have a single ram slot. I know my eeePC does. 2GiB max =(

I may have some 2GB sticks as well, won’t know until someone opens one up.

Pc2-6400 memory. Got any 2 gig sticks?

Nope, looks like I only have PC3-8500 in 2GB.

I found a 2 gig stick and cloned my 80 gig drive to a 320. Finished all the updates and she’s ready for action.

I got a batch of Lenovo T60 laptops in that I am going to sort through and sell cheap if anyone is interested. They had XP on them, so I am wiping the hard drives (if they have one), and then selling them raw. They are 32 bit, will run Windows 7 32bit, they may have 1G, 2G, or no ram in them. You can look up the specs online and I’ll post more details as I sort through them. I’ll sell them for $40 a piece if anyone is interested and as I get time to check them out. The more interest, the more time I’ll devote to sorting them. Otherwise I am going to Ebay them to the highest bidder.

1 Like

I’ll put Lubuntu on them(if they have hard drives), so you can check them out before anyone buys one.