Future plans in the Digital Media Area

Hi, I’m Wesley. I’m new around these parts. These days i’ve been working on my warhammer models in the art area, but I’ve seen lots of upheaval in the digital media area. I was just curious about what is going on with that area and what to expect in the future?

There is a new chair in that committee, although I’m not sure what their Talk handle is (@hon1nbo can you tag him?). I believe right now the main goal is getting things organized and getting classes set up.

@Jcgalik is our current interim chair, and we’ve been making some improvements to the room - unfortunately renovations were interrupted and we’ve started over. I believe we’ll have some good editing stations and a dedicated photography area set up shortly, but I’ll let him fill in any details.

1 Like

Hi! That would be me! right now digital media is being renovated, inventoried, spackled and prepped to have its space open again. digital media will begin to open up as i finish the cleaning and repair of its space and equipment from the warehouse storage and elsewhere. i will be uploading a full update for the department soon as the last parts of inventory come into view.

9 Likes

Thank you for all your hard work by the way. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

1 Like

I have background screen roller kit I never used. It’ll hold four rollers - similar to this: (in fact I think is it, but for four, it years ago). Mounts to wall. If Digital Media wants it, I’ll leave it there next time I’m at DMS. Probably tomorrow or Monday evening when there for a meeting.
Impact Wall Mounting Kit for Holding Three Seamless Backdrops

3 Likes

I was going to use coat wrack mounts and wooden dowels but this seems more professional, id love to see if i can use it thanks! @Photomancer

2 Likes

Let me know if you can use it. You can attach these to the wall with anchors (either the concrete wall or with anchors on metal studs.

These are are much more stable than “coat hangars” the rollers have a chain and the the tube is supported on each end and lifted and dropped into the slots. Seamless paper comes on tubes. Back drops can be put on tubes.

3 Likes

so after pricing it out the rolls of paper muslin that hanger uses being 60 usd for 36 or so feet and 8 feet of usable space in digital media leaves us paying 14$ every time the paper backdrop is damaged and a new one is rolled, for now im going to try to use our existing greenscreen muslins and a traditional hanger. but assuming we have a large enough interest and people use it frequently enough a need for it could arise.

1 Like

I’ve got a very nice pro 10’ x 20’ green screen rig with stands and hanging pole if anyone ever has a need. Only ask that it be well cared for during use and returned when the shoot is struck.

Random FYI, the Joann’s at George Bush/ 75 in Plano has green screen muslin by the yard in the upholstery/utility fabric section. $14.99/yard, but pretty easy to get 40-50% off of that with a coupon.

3 Likes

Re: JoAnn’s and the coupon. They’ve got a 40% off one thing (including one cut of fabric) every week. I’d recommend going to the website and printing the coupon, though. I was trying to get the coupon in the store, and it wanted me to sign up and log in, and I found it a bit confusing. Perhaps if I’d established the log-in prior to getting to the store and attempting to use their wi-fi, it might not have been so confusing.

i thought we already had a massive green screen wall? you didnt just paint over that yeah? :frowning:

it was! besides being to dark requiring lighting to counter exposure issues, it poisoned every photo taken in that room that wasnt keyed work.
we own 5 green screen muslins, if an individual needs one we have lots to choose from and ill have them available to slot in to the photography wall along with black and white muslins.

below is what a flashlight reflecting off the wall did to a sheet of printer paper

6 Likes

Awesome! It’s good to see we’ve got something going. If you need any help getting everything set back up I’m pretty free. As much as I’ve enjoyed working remotely rolling out of bed to my work station in past year it’s been murder on my productivity :sweat_smile:.

Good to know! Thank you for the good faith explanation.

1 Like

Sounds like great things are happening in Digital Media! Very very cool! Many many thank yous to the new chair and all volunteers!

He needs to be added to Team_Digital_Media.

1 Like

just checking to see if this is a dead thread or help is needed in “D-A/V”.

im new here and this is what i do professionally so id be into helping.

thanks!
~Bear

2 Likes

we certainly are always up to have classes taught, message me what you want to teach and i will make sure you know what equipment we have to help!