Future blacksmithing tools class, making a letter opener

I’m interested in teaching a class on making a letter opener from 1/2 inch square stock. It will allow me to qualify makers on the DMS cutoff saw, KMG, induction forge and hydraulic press tools in the blacksmithing area. It will also involve a little anvil time to put a point on the stock before using the press. (Although, you can use the hdraulic press to put a tip on the stock, too) As an option we can put a twist in the shank of the letter opener using the post vise, turning wrench and the induction forge.

Recently, we’ve been making chisels in this class, but we could also make letter openers in about the same amount of time. The only real difference between a letter opener and a knife is the sharpness and durability of the blade so we will be using mild steel for the project. A letter opener doesn’t have to hold an edge like a regular knife blade. We can discuss what steels would be more appropriate for a more durable and edge holding blade.

If you would find this project more to your liking than making a chisel look for it to appear on the calendar in July some time. It will likely replace the current chisel making class.

I did, however, just put another blacksmithing qual class to make chisels, last night. It should appear on the schedule in 72 hrs from almost midnight last night. The class will be taught Tuesday June 21st at 7:30PM.

5 Likes

I also had an idea to make a screwdriver in the class. It would involve forging the screwdriver end in the blacksmithng shop and turning a handle on the lathe in the woodshop. We could use any number of handle materials to make the handle, too. We could make either flat head or phillips head screw drivers, but from the point of view of the qual class the flathead would be preferred.

3 Likes

Forging a handle is also an option:

1 Like

I’m surprised you can make a phillips head, how do you make the head? We could use some hand forged torx bits for automotive, maybe they’d hold up better…

Have to first chisel the head from a square into a cross/x shape then grind the tip to be conical/pointed

1 Like

Don’t know about a torx head but anything is possible.

1 Like