Fusion360 Personal Changing Features

I got the lovely email from Autodesk today that Fusion360 is dropping a lot of features from the personal edition. Amongst them are features that are kinda important for doing basically anything around the makerspace.

For those who don’t have the email, here’s what it says:

Effective October 1, 2020 , functionality in Fusion 360 for personal use will be limited , and you’ll no longer have access to the following:

• Probing, 3 + 2-axis milling (tool orientation), multi-axis milling, rapid moves, automatic tool changes
    Multi-sheets, smart templates, output options for drawings (print only).
  • Download options from public share links
  • Cloud rendering
  • Export options including F3Z, DWG, DXF, IGES, SAT, and STEP
  • Simulation and generative design
  • Unlimited active and editable Fusion 360 documents (10 doc limit).
  • Fusion 360 extensions

@Team_Machine_Shop this sounds pretty significant as it impacts the Haas.

I’ve already been moving back to Solidworks for things, but this pushes the timeline up for a lot of people I’m sure.

8 Likes

Yep I got that same email a bit ago. This means we wont be able to cad things & export it for the Dynatorch as well.

3 Likes

I gave up on Fusion360 after the last time they changed the deal.

I’ve been using FreeCAD with fair success.

Not sure about tool paths - I think it can do that, but I haven’t needed it yet.

2 Likes

This stinks. Full link: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/changes-to-fusion-360-for-personal-use/

3 Likes

They are very uncaring. If you can’t be monetized then they don’t need/want you as a user.

4 Likes

If you want to try to get it ready for running on the HAAS I’m happy to help.

My main issue is, we need something that we can teach, train, write docs on, and still know that we’re going to have a license for it in a few years. I don’t want to work towards another Fusion 360 type thing, and then 4 years later they cut us off. I know we currently have a yearly Solidworks licensing through Tucker, but if that program gets the axe I don’t want to have to learn and write coursework for another software.

Maybe we switch to something more CAD agnostic like MasterCAM and then just have DMS buy a single license and we only post process right before the job run? From what I understand that would let students use the free version for their own design and then just use the Pro version on the machine to generate the G-Code before the send it along over RS232.

5 Likes

Someone has taken a stab at it already.
FreeCAD already has tool path features. The post processor is the “fun” bit.

It would be a “learning experience” for me, but I program for a living and want to learn more about the HAAS.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23127

I suspect lots of careful testing with big Z offsets will be needed…

3 Likes

I can help with that. I have a lot of experience in crashing the HAAS :wink:

We should probably do the testing before we get a new spindle lol.

6 Likes

Wonder if they make CNC training wheels…

2 Likes

5% rapids, 10% feeds, never take your hand off the red button. Don’t talk to anyone.

It’s a bit like driving a car without auto insurance honestly.

5 Likes

Speaking of spindle - What’s the latest status?

They went from giving generative design for free, to making you pay $25 per design +$100 for full model, to taking it away all together for personal license in the time frame of 6 months?!!!

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

3 Likes

Generative design is dead!

Autodesk gonna’ Autodesk… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

F*CK!

1 Like

The file export type restrictions seems just petty. Like why? Why take away this option?

2 Likes

the gearbox oil was changed, the speed issue was a setting in the VFD, not a gearbox problem.

1 Like

dms has a premium license for solidworks 2017, what would an upgrade to 2020 cost?

1 Like

With the new restrictions in Fusion360, you’d be forced to start the CAM process with something made entirely from triangles given the export options. Everything would by n-gons :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I recall correctly that was license was gratis. Legit of course. I don’t recall who worked that deal though. Maybe @frank_lima or @Robert_Davidson remember?

1 Like