Fusión láser grid bent

Came in tonight to use the fusion, the grid had a big bent divot in it. Was able to psuedo flatten it with my hand but may need to be replaced if someone has an exact job.

Accident or some other cause, this should have been reported by whomever did it.

2 Likes

If it helps any, it was not bent yesterday around 4 or 5ish when I used it :+1:

4 Likes

holy crap! That’s no accident. someone had to be holding the table UP button the whole time it was pressing whatever caused it. I’m surprised it didn’t take the laser head with it.
Ban points for not reporting it.

1 Like

Can someone with the necessary IT experience and permissions check the logins to the computer that controls the Fusion to see who’s the likely culprit?

Or the overhead cameras?

@Team_Infrastructure

I know you used the the fusion that same evening, was it bent at that point?

The bend was REALLY obvious so if you used it, and it was there, you would know.

The first thing I did, before turning on the machine, was place the rotary attachment on the unlit table.

Then I turned the machine on, which lit the table. Likewise, I turned the machine off before removing the rotary attachment. It could have been dented before I used it and I probably wouldn’t have noticed.

Still, though, it seems like something I would have glimpsed before I placed the rotary. So I suspect that @coffeebean was right when she says it wasn’t bent the next day.

You using the rotary on the cutting grate?

Yes, if by “cutting grate” you mean the squares-platform shown in the photo. The rotary platform is placed on top of cutting grate during use. It would have covered about 360 square inches of the back part of the grate.

I was accompanied by another member (Amber? Amy?) for whom I was trying to demonstrate the rotary when I used it a few nights ago. She may have been paying closer attention when I was placing the rotary on the table and could verify that everything looked normal.

Like I said, I didn’t notice anything wrong with the table, and I probably would have if there was anything wrong with it at that time.

And that’s why we’re no longer allowed to laser bowling balls.

6 Likes

You’re supposed to put in the engraving surface to use the rotary and take the cutting surface out.

The cutting surface is too easily damaged placing items like it in. Additionally the surface alignment is slightly different and can throw things but that’s a secondary reason.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll do it that way in the future.

And there’s a 0% chance that I damaged the cutting grate by gently placing the rotary plate on it, so we still need to track down (if we can) who damaged the grate.

It’s probably not a bad idea to regularly replace it anyways as it gets very dirty over time. We discussed doing that with the thunders but the rumor at the time was that shipping the grates from thunder was cost-prohibitive (I never verified this). Perhaps that’s not an issue with the Fusion since it’s a smaller grate.

1 Like

Fyi, the way that computer has to be setup makes it so user logins are not available. If it become an issue, laser could opt to rfid interlock the device.