Fusion 360 - looking for a tutor

I’m relatively new to Fusion 360 and attempting to model a pretty complex prototype. I know exactly what I’m attempting to create but need help from someone who know Fusion 360 very well.

I’ve walked through YouTube tutorials and have the basics down but need help. Willing to compensate commensurate with skill level.

Thanks in advance for considering,
Rob

2 Likes

As a Makerspace member, you get a free student license to Solidworks. Also, we have the full Premium version of it on our jump server for you to use. This is a program that engineering companies and the like pay over $4,000 for one license, with $1,200 per yer updates. It’s the equivalent or better than Inventor, which is the paid commercial fully-featured version of Fusion 360. Just search Talk for instructions on downloading your personal copy to your computer. It’ll need to be a Windows-based machine.

You should learn Solidworks instead because:

1. There’s a great body of Youtube videos and tutorials that can help you.
  2. The skills you learn in Solidworks will transfer over to Fusion 360; it’s just that the commands have different names and are in different locations.
  3. The interface is prettier and easier to work with (I think).
  4. It’s not a web-based product. It lives on your desktop.
  5. It’s got amazing add-ons (electrical design, photorealism, simulations, plastics manufacturing, etc.)

I’m heading out of town for a few weeks, otherwise I’d consider helping.

Good luck!

1 Like

I’d also like to learn 360. I remember seeing some classes on it on the calendar towards the end of last year, but I had other fish to fry at the time. I already use Autocad and CADWorx every day, but 360 has some strange quarks that id like to wrap my head around.

edit: just reread your post. sorry!

I followed this tutorial series when I first started with Fusion 360. This guy does an awesome job explaining and has a ton of videos. Never modeled or touched Fusion before and after watching these videos, it only took me a couple nights to model a switch housing part for my motorcycle.

3 Likes

These videos are awesome!
I still can’t Fusion worth a…

1 Like

My only reaction to the push for SolidWorks is that either will get the job done. Pretty much the same set of arguments can be made in support of Fusion 360… it’s basically the Android vs. Apple IOS debate for 3D design.

You can get a free “Startup” license for F360 for no cost and it is the full version of that product. (which I assume you probably already have.)

And for the listed reasons …

1. There are plenty of good YouTube videos and tutorials for F360. (That’s how most of us learned it.)
  2. The skills you learn in Fusion 360 can also be applied to Solidworks. (And are, in my opinion, easier to learn.)
  3. The interface is equally pretty and easy to work with. (I think.)
  4. It’s a full desktop install (on Windows and/or Mac, with the same license) and updates are freely provided automatically via the cloud service. (ie. it’s not a "web-based product.) Additionally, designs are synced to the cloud and are automatically available on other PCs with the software installed, or the mobile app for basic model manipulation/viewing.
  5. Add-ons? Yep! F360’s got those.

I’m not an expert by any means, but I am finding myself able to do quite a bit of relatively simple prototype modeling… and working up to more complex. I doubt that I’m the candidate you’re looking for, but I am always looking for other makers who are doing some interesting projects so I can continue to learn.

1 Like

I would add that there is a general push around DMS to move to using Fusion360 as the standard CAD tool. In the past we’ve used a lot of different tools for different machines. This added a large task to the startup burden for each different machine that didn’t need to be there.

Solidworks is likely more in demand in industry. But it’s currently much less implemented at DMS than Fusion360.

I want to learn both myself, but Fusion360 is more useful to me at present, simply because I’m further along the learning curve.

YMMV.

1 Like

Thanks all for the feedback. I’m continuing to walk through tutorials and keeping an eye out for any upcoming classes.

Thanks much