Fulton's Metal in Denton - Scrap sheet metal

I ran by Fulton’s Metal in Denton on Sat. looking for some sheet metal. They have several stacks in the back of their yard they’re selling for scrap pricing which, if I recall, was around $0.51 / lbs. Here are a couple of pics. They had a bit more than this but it was mostly in the 5/16 range.
Also for reference I bought a new 4x8’ sheet of 18GA for $65 after tax.

7 Likes

Do they by any chance have cutting available? Would love to get some of the 5/16 plate, but too heavy in such big pieces.

They do not. I’m sure you would have to buy a whole piece but they probably would allow you to bring a portable OA torch and cut it into pieces in the yard. If there were a couple of us that wanted some, that may be worth considering?

That’s what I was thinking? Maybe we volunteer some member with the ability to transport a 4x8, compensate them for their time, and then get a group buy going.

@hon1nbo You think the ‘shop will want some for training/usage on the Plasma in addition to maybe cutting some up for welding practice? I’m not sure how we get our welding class metal these days but $70 for a 4x8 sheet beats what we were paying for the 4’ sticks if iirc.

likely won’t beat the coupon stock for welding (those sticks are cheap already and it’s hard to get cheap enough to be worth the effort for scrap salvaging), but the sheet price is very good for plasma compared to the usual suppliers

1 Like

woops. Correction. The 4x8 sheet of 18GA that I bought new was $65. The 5/16th plate is MUCH heavier and was around $200 at the scrap price. 5/16 is 12.8 lbs/ft squared.

1 Like

I love Fultons - have some amazing memories of running around there as a kid back in the 80s. I bet it hasn’t changed a bit - do they still smoke in the office?

That’s funny. It didn’t smell like they do but it definitely is reminiscent of a place that did at one point. They have 3-4 kitties that roam the shop also.

1 Like

Scrap was already gone this morning.

1 Like

I went by Fulton’s this morning myself. Over the years it has certainly changed. They used to have a lot of scrap/remnants. Not so much any more.

1 Like

Price was fine on the offcuts I bought, but not discounted or anything.