Full Digital Whiteboards with RasberryPi

Microsoft came out with the Hub 2 for their digital whiteboards, where it’ll compete squarely with Jamboard, Google’s $5,000 4K GSuite-optimized whiteboard, and Cisco’s $4,990 Spark Board, which runs the company’s Spark Flex enterprise subscription suite, among others. Original Hub was $9,900. No pricing on this one as of yet but surely we can do better.

Software

Hardware and instructable

Budget

Aprox. $300-350

Savings: 1428.57%

2 Likes

Something like this would be nice for front entry with rolling slideshow of projects, access to calendar to find out where a class is, etc. Would you be willing to teach a class on how to build one or host an event and people chip in and help build?

5 Likes

Would like to help build a Digital Display for the makerspace

• I’m in
  • Count on me
  • Sure would

0 voters

So far there’s a few that would like to join in. I’d be glad to put an event on the calendar so we can coordinate. Though I would like to see a few extra individuals on this project just because how cool this is but in the mean we can start getting together a project plan and posting up details here in this thread.

Actionable items I can foresee:

• Create a shareable spec sheet in google drive or smartsheets
  • Define hardware
  • Procure hardware
  • Schedule class for building
  • Build the thing (all good lists need this)
  • Install the Digital Whiteboard
  • After project potluck
1 Like

I’d definitely be interested. I’m slammed at work at the moment, so I can’t commit to a schedule yet, but if I’m not working I’d be happy to participate. Also, FWIW, we have the Spark Boards at work and they are horrific. We’ve pretty much abandoned them and use them as a glorified screen mirroring system.

I think I’m not understanding something here. Aren’t the MS, Cisco, Google, et al. products based upon a large touchscreen monitor with an embedded camera? If so, why go the route of a magic mirror to achieve the goal of a digital white board?

Well we would need a MVP first then the upgraded version could use:

Unless we want to add that into the design spec?

Yep. I’m definitely confused.

OK. So scrap the touch screen. The software list above includes RealtimeBoard. One now has their digital white board, correct? Or is that a negative? If one does have the digital white board at this point (with a normal monitor), why the magic mirror?

This is a good point; we build it, then what’s the use case for it and where will it live?

where would it live

I’m think it would be going in the spot that the help line use to be.

Since this is a platform that is powered by Chromecast tech and Potentially Android / Linux the use cases can be just about anything needed.

As for example use cases that we might have:

• Calendar of events
  • Discord / Talk feeds
  • Rolling slideshow of projects at the space (when in idle)
  • Whiteboarding?
  • Weather Station Display
  • Home-assistant display

Basically anything information at the space could be on this display (including the tool/classroom queue).

What do you guys think? Would there be any better use case(s)?

Telepresence with another Makerspace :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Telepresence with another Makerspace

Love it. I know of at least three or four other spaces we can rangle in for a Synchronous hackathon and should be able to get at lease two in with that confernce.

If you decide to go with the mirror, I have plenty of excess mirrored window tint I’d be willing to donate.

1 Like

That actually might help with the cost since then we can get a large enough plexiglass sheet for the monitor instead of getting a large one way mirror.

New DMS member here.

I see 3 different experiences being thrown out based on the use cases. One can be passive, one interactive and passive, and one interactive and mobile. The Informational (passive) can also be used on existing displays with just the player hardware/software.

Informational (passive)

• Calendar Events
  • Discord/Talk feeds (ticker/blurp), can also include social feeds
  • slideshow of projects (images, videos)
  • Weather/News/Environmental

Wayfinding/room displays (interactive/passive)

• Map of center
  • Event wayfinding
  • Room displays with event name/time
  • Room booking
  • Queue system (with triggered alerts to other screens)

Collaborative Displays (interactive/mobile)

• Digital Whiteboard
  • Video collaboration
  • Screen Sharing

Not sure how much on the software side everyone wants to do, I can probably get a CMS for free which would have a lot of the features listed.

1 Like