Fry's No Longer Price Matches

I thought the only saving grace for Fry’s was that they would price match to the internet. But, I found out today that is no longer the case. I tried to purchase 2 dual packs of the Air SP120 Corsair fans today and was given the full run around on them.

Fry’s Ad,

Amazon Ad,

These are identical products and Fry’s employees made up every excuse. First they said, it was being sold from a third party vendor. I walked them through the ad explaining this is an Amazon Product. Then it was explained to me the UPC code didn’t match, knowing many companies now have special UPCs for their products. I asked for the UPC code and their system didn’t actually match the UPC on the box. The child age manager then went to the point of picking random words out of the description on the amazon ad and saying where is this word on the box. He chose the word Air, which happened to be in the title of the product.

Don’t waste your time at Fry’s if you want to price match. It is a waste of time. They will make up any excuse not to match the price. No wonder more and more of the store is looking like a ghost town.

2 Likes

I haven’t been back for any major purchase since they refused to honor the price on their own website.

2 Likes

That is funny,
They checked the price on their website first even though I said amazon. I guess they run into that issue more than you would think.

This was years ago, they tried to tell me that their website was different and prices didn’t apply to in-store items. I don’t know if I was being lied to but I decided not to go back.

1 Like

I used to have “Fry Friday’s” back when they first opened. Some folks from my office would go to the store during our lunch hour and try to get the deals before the weekend. I even had a Fry’s budget set up so I didn’t just go crazy. My wife called it my Fry’s mad money. I used to scour their ads and look for those gotta have bargains. Fry’s was just a cool place to shop after Computer Warehouse closed. If you are a geek it was the place to go.

Fast forward to today. I haven’t been in any of their stores in years. They sold a friend of mine a used hard drive as new and refused to accept the return as an exchange because they told him he was trying to exchange one of his used ones for a new one. They used to have a great selection of electronics at a great set of prices, but anymore I start at Amazon or NewEgg or Ebay somewhere else online. They almost always have a better price.

I won’t shop at Fry’s unless one of my friends says to go check out some great deal they are having. This hasn’t happened in a very long time. Amazon prime will probably kill Fry’s like it has Sears, JC Penney’s and so many other places, especially if they refuse to price match. Say bye bye to Fry’s.

I for one won’t miss it.

4 Likes

I avoid them if possible. One time I peeled back the “special sale price” sticker on the shelf and it was higher than the “regular” price.

3 Likes

Same here. It just became generally not worth it, especially considering the “cost” in time energy, angst in driving around the metroplex nowadays.

There’s a reason Fry’s is nearly empty even just before Christmas, but microcenter is busy every day.

3 Likes

When I first moved here from a small town I was amazed by Fry’s and would use any excuse to go there and shop. I really like Microcenter but I don’t need a new PC or parts that often. The employees at Microcenter are good - completely different from my experiences at Fry’s.

Fry’s refused to price match Micro Center a year ago when I was buying parts to build a new I7 PC. They said that Micro Center’s Intel (boxed and branded!) CPUs were grey market. HAHAHAHAHAHA - They were retail boxed!

Fry’s is the one that will sell you a CPU in a baggie or an unbranded grey market box.

4 Likes

The Fry’s in Irving regularly matches prices online for me with the last being a week ago. They go by UPC most of the time and seem to have no issue with Amazon and Newegg among others. I agree in general though, they don’t have good customer service.

Mandatory:
http://www.gshotts.com/humor/breakfastatfrys/breakfas.htm

1 Like

10 years ago, I took Fry’s to small claims court over failing to honor a warranty claim on a $600 camera. I won the case, Frys paid me for everything on the invoice and small claims court fees. It was a good day.

I have not spent much with them since. Microcenter or New Egg or eBay.

5 Likes

@lukeiamyourfather, I had my issue at the fry’s in Irving. They used the UPC trick and when proven that the UPC matched they then went to the BS tactics of dissecting the language in the amazon ad. So maybe things are changing. I personally will not be going back. No need to waste both time and money at Frys. Fun fact, the packaging of the items I was purchasing had all the none tamper stickers pulled off. So more than likely they were selling me returned items at Market + pricing.

How the good times fade into the past. I really loved coming to this store back in the day. I had many the same stories as other in this chat. Just sad to see it go.

1 Like

[redacted]
(Since I moved and MicroCenter is closer, I haven’t set foot in Fry’s and don’t miss it.)

2 Likes

I think I love you! :heart_eyes:
<!>

<!>
<!>
(edit: but what am I so afraid of?)

1 Like

@jswilson64

Lol, you might want to look up ageism. My description was neither prejudice or discrimination. It was descriptive. You might want to consider your own prejudice in attempting to slam me publicly with a discriminatory title based on a 4 word phrase. A bit short sited I would say. Defamation doesn’t look good on you.

You’re probably right. Mondays and all that. Apologies - my original comment is redacted.

4 Likes