Front Panel Express -> laser cutters

I have a program from a company called Front Panel Express. It’s a CAD package they made for generating front panel designs you then send to them for manufacturing.

They have some nice libraries for connectors and such, but the panels are not cheap. I was wondering if anyone had taken a design from that program and converted it to something our lasers can cut. I’d like to prototype a panel for a project before I spend the money on the nice one from FPE.

Alternatively, do any of the CAD packages we have for use with the lasers have such libraries ? I mainly need cutouts for Neutrik Panel mount XLR connectors. ( Yes, I know I could just draw them up. I want to explore the minimum effort path first. ).

1 Like

I think I found my own answer on this one.

Front Panel Designer can export to .dxf and .svg.

I’ll have to find some scrap and give it a try next time I’m at the space.

4 Likes

On FPE, they may be expensive (kindof) but the results are gorgeous…

2 Likes

Agreed. They do good work. I just would rather test before I pay them to make the final panel. This is very much a prototype operation, so things might change after field testing. Once is somewhat expensive. Doing it over - things start to add up pretty quick.

Also, I just realized today that I need the thing in about 3 weeks. So there’s a bit of a time crunch…

Nice work on the O scope.

1 Like

Aren’t these usually routed out of aluminum? Are you thinking of using the shapoko to cut final panels or are you just talking about doing some prototypes?

I’m thinking in terms of a prototype / test run on the laser using Acrylic. Long term, I suspect that would be too brittle for our use. ( It’s a central controller for DMX lights for a local sci-fi con. ) We’ll test at WhoFest the first weekend of May, so time is a little tight to get a panel designed and back from FPE. But the same design tool will output files the lasers can use - I think… So for a short term setup, acrylic will do.

Once I’m sure I don’t need to add more connectors or other items, I plan to get the nice labeled and filled version like Daniel linked above.

An alternative is to try to get cleared to cut polycarbonate on the MultiCAM.