Frog Gene therapy experiment needs maintenance

I think you need to look at your experimental frogs, there’s a dead one (with maggots) in the bottom of the cage…

paging @Team_Science

… SLIPPY!!!

1 Like

He didn’t do a barrel roll :frowning:

1 Like

Hahahaha hail Boognish!

1 Like

hmmmm …

1 Like

The frogs are maintained daily. The frog was found and removed at the next check, and I was notified. And yes, although we lost one frog in our variable population, there were NO maggots present and NO decomposition had occurred. What you most likely saw was waste product, as all living organisms produce.

While I appreciate your concern for our specimen, in the future please refrain from making assessments outside of your area of expertise to the general DMS Talk community and simply notify the committee chair or other member of science committee directly. They will get the message to the appropriate researcher.

I think that is a bit harsh. Most of us want to help each other out in this great community we have here. This post was in the spirit of doing this. Additionally, as we are a community, everyone has the right to say what they think or see as long as it doesn’t go against the rules. Everyone is learning something here. Rather than attempting (mis)information control by funneling everything privately, please educate us on what you are doing and help us learn more.

Sorry to disagree, but I can identify maggots when they are alive and actively moving, both on the frog and the adjacent cage wall.

Interesting. I was up there this evening and saw no evidence of maggots, but I did find waste (as habitat cleanings occur on Sundays.) Did you happen to photograph the findings?

1 Like

@Hardsuit - you clearly don’t know how to identify maggots. I have seen photos of the frog scene that was supposed to be “infested with maggots”. I didn’t see a single maggot.

Did you take photos so we can compare?

Spoken like a true politician

Moderator question: Is this resolved? Can I close this thread?

2 Likes

It would be nice to get an apology from @Hardsuit since he clearly doesn’t want to respond with any actual proof of this. I’ll try for a face to face conversation at the space next time I see him.

1 Like

OK, I’ll consider the problem resolved and if you and Paul want to discuss it in person, that’s a good plan.

3 Likes