:blankspace::blankspace:

:blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace:

1 Like

I’m an Army vet and support the right to protest. I also understand the “take a knee” movement isn’t a protest against our military our flag or our veterans.

12 Likes

Thank you for serving.

Perhaps it has become something else. Or I’ve confused the original protester’s statement. I get the reason for the protest, however it still comes across a disrespectful to the symbol of the country.
The police force does not represent the country.

Kaepernick had said: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour.

"To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Am I trying to start something? Not really.

This topic is about media bias and click baitey headlines/topic, and how issues can get muddled pretty quick.

And you think the military does?

3 Likes

That’s probably not true.

That’s certainly not true, or the thread title wouldn’t be “Freedom of speech > Patriotism?”, it would be “media bias and click baitey headlines” or “Ever notice how issues can get muddled pretty quick?”

In fact, a most of your recent threads seem designed to stir something up. That’s fine, especially in a democracy where free exchange of ideas and opinions help people understand themselves and others better, as well help work toward a general consensus on some things.

But the threads you start here in the Off-Topic forum seem to favor wedge issues which 1) Are already beat to death out in the real world; 2) Real debate isn’t really a likely outcome or intent: your mind isn’t really open on the topic, nor are the ones that flagged, or support the flagging, of initial post; and 3) All that can really happen on a thread like this is a descent into a " ‘I’m right’, ‘No, I’M right’, ‘No, you suck!’ ‘No, YOU suck!’ " back-and-forth. Not really constructive or consciousness-raising, right?

Can’t we just discuss if Unicorns are real, instead?

10 Likes

Just making the statement in the context of the quote attributed to the original knee/kneel guy(?).

As far as FoS > Patriotism goes, yes, that is a true expression because FoS is a valued principle that transcends borders and nations. Its value and importance are independent and irrespective of where people are or where they’re from, ie FoS though typically considered an American value, is not an idea owned exclusively by Americans. And hypothetically speaking, if a country “took a turn for the worst” so to speak, the patriotism of the people may wane, whereas FoS would remain the principle it is.

My two cents, but what do I know, I’m just the devil.

:metal::smiling_imp::metal:

5 Likes

I suppose it may appear as you stated,
I should have phrased my statement as it’s a topic with a click baity title that may or may not have any real relevance to the content which can be deemed as offensive to some people that eventually leads to a breakdown in civility among posters.
Does that sound like how some news comes across to you? Enough times it does to me.
Or I could just be interested what people think on matters that I came across elsewhere.

If this is deemed as going nowhere please delete topic.

@Team_Moderators. This topic is viewable by the public. Our members are diverse across demographics and political opinions. So are the members we would hope to attract. We do an admirable job of co-existing by finding and focusing on common ground - the joys and tribulations of making. I ask that you remove this post in it’s entirety, not merely temporarily hide replies or relocate to Members Only. The OP is free to express his views elsewhere.

3 Likes

@Team_Moderators, I’ll ask that you leave this right where it is. The way to “fix this problem” isn’t to sweep it under the rug. Ignoring the trolls is the right Avenue, not suppression of free exchange of ideas. Discourse has appropriate tools for letting participants self-manage; moderator action is not needed here. If you dislike the posters methods, let it wither on the vine.

5 Likes

Seconded, but I don’t consider anyone a troll (yet?)

2 Likes

Thread’s over guys, let’s go home

3 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out why a song on YouTube played over a slideshow is something the media would be expected to pay attention to.

6 Likes

You’ve confused it so much, you’re worrying about protests during the football season that ended a month ago.

1 Like

See important message here:

(please ignore the un-ignorable milk carton picture avatar)

2 Likes