FreeCodeCamp UG

Hi Guys,

Hope this is not post in the wrong thread but I wanted to get this out there.

Recently there has been a new user group to launch up here in the metroplex area. They are working to teach coding and build projects for nonprofits. Kind of like barcamp meets hackers for charity. I suggest checking out their website http://www.freecodecamp.com/

So far on their first meetup there was at lease 12 individuals that attended and 165 members strong with 13 new members that just joined. Now the reason why I bring this up is they’re in need of a place to host the meetups which are bi-weekly and on Sunday.

I’ll be glad to host for them but would love to hear from the rest of the Makerspace if there’s any interest in this sort of user group and we can use one of the meeting spaces next Sunday (18th)?

1 Like

Meeting Proposial: 4p - 6p on Sunday.

Free Code Camp: Code Learning Meetup - bring a laptop

Come code with us as we talk about HTML, CSS, Full-Stack Javascript and all things related. Get help working through the Free Code Camp curriculum. Beginners welcome.

Free Code Camp is an open source community of busy adults who learn to code, then practice by building projects for nonprofits.

1 Like

Hi @denzuko!

This sounds like a really neat group to have meet at the 'Space! :smile:

I was going to suggest that you submit a request to have it added to the calendar; but, I see it’s already on the calendar… However, the time listed on the calendar is different than the proposed time on your post…

Below is some of the information I copied from the calendar:

Free Code Camp: Code Learning Meetup - bring a laptop
Sun, October 18, 6pm – 8pm
Where: Common Area - 1825 Monetary Ln #104 Carrollton, TX 75006

Host: Dwight

Description:
Come code with us as we talk about HTML, CSS, Full-Stack Javascript and all things related. Get help working through the Free Code Camp curriculum. Beginners and Experts welcome.

Free Code Camp is an open source community of busy adults who learn to code, then practice by building projects for nonprofits

If the calendar needs to be updated, please let us know at: [email protected]

And, THANKS for bringing such a neat group to the 'Space!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @LisaSelk

Thanks for catching that. It was late at night so I might have put the time in correctly. Can we update the callendar to have the meeting at 4pm instead?

UPDATE: Email sent.

1 Like

We kind of took over the interactive room since the commons was over run.

Well we had a great turn out! Unless there’s any scheduling conflicts, we’ll be doing this regularly on a biweekly schedule.

1 Like

There’s that word again.

I’ve never seen it used anywhere except in classrooms when the lesson involves the dangers of using ambiguous phrases but it pops up here…

1 Like

Corrected. Thanks Jast. :smile:

1 Like

To be clear, his objection is not spelling, but the complete uselessness of the word. It literally means every other week or twice a week. Both are valid definitions. All of the bi-timeunit words are like this, and it sucks :smile:

2 Likes

What Kent said.
I’m not intending to be a grammar nazi, either, since there’s nothing technically wrong with the phrase and I think it is safe to assume you mean every other week given the context. But since you had such a turnout you had to spill out to another room, perhaps you intend to hold gatherings twice a week. Doesn’t REALLY matter, I guess. We’ll keep an eye on the calendar.

A problem with an Old English solution… https://www.google.com/search?q=fortnight

:grinning:

1 Like

We had to move more on the fact that all the tables in the common room was already being used by others.

Either way, next one is on November 1st and I’ll have the meeting submitted tonight.

2 Likes

Bumping for Second Meeting this Sunday! Come out and join in on the fun.

Remember to bring your own mugs for free coffee!

FYI, in case you’re talking about the free coffee machine in the Galley, it was moved but not hooked back up to water.

That is in the process of being done - was being worked on last night. I believe he needed another fitting.

1 Like

which fitting? I might donate one if I can find it.

Not sure which water fitting it was/is, but I believe he left to get it or was going to get it today.

1 Like

It works. still just as “good” as always :slight_smile:

Just got to say thanks to everyone that has shown up to our meetings. Its been a blast having you and we look forward to having you at this weeks meeting.

David and I are also wanting to hear your input. Is there any subject you would like to see talked about at any of our meetups?

Update - 02/24/16

As of late the group has been hosting beginner classes over google hangouts. While I’ve been away for the past few weeks building out a docker based microservice platform for Fidelity, Inc.

I do plan on resyncing up the online group with a regular meetup at the space so keep your eyes out for that on the calendar. There will also be regular releases of tutorials for more DevOps stuff up at http://devopscast.com/ over the coming months as things are built out.

We do have an android app too!! Check out the blog article at http://freecodecampdallas.com/blog/:title/ for futher details.