Free Oak pieces

Recently fallen oak tree. Looks huge from pictures. Very large pieces remain. Located on curb at 300 Irongate Circle Irving. will try to attach pictures.

2 Likes

Are posts like this just for letting people know they can pick it up for themselves or for taking to DMS for community use? I ask because there are a bunch of people that have been felling trees in my neighborhood recently and I’d be glad to grab some to bring to DMS, I’m either not good enough at wiki or blind because I can’t find anything saying whether that would be appreciated or just overkill that there isn’t any room for.

appreciate the willingness to bring it to the shop. But, the free wood shelf in the woodshop is really full and outside stotage of wood is no go.

Always worth posting when you see free wood though. Especially if you know dimensions at what type of wood it is. Some people (me) might pass by for something super interesting.

Well - not really -

What you’ve got there appears to be post oak which checks badly once dry - take about 18 months to dry well, and you’ve got joints / limbs which makes it worse for checking and dangerously ponderous to handle on any of the saws at DMS.

As free wood goes, the vast majority of people who know what they’re doing would likely pass on this bunch entirely. Even wood lots won’t stop to pick that up. It’s too hard on their splitting gear.

Thanks for thinking of the community but for a lot of practical reasons this pile is probably bad news.

Jeffhess - thanks for pics…and Nate, instead of hauling in, please post pics! Sometimes I’ll go gather wood someone points me to. Yes the oak will likely split knowing you keep an eye out for stuff like that is really a bonus for us turners cause you never know :slight_smile: