Free labor for free wood

I don’t know if any of the links are good, but i do have some tools(small axe tree branch saw pick axe), a car and decent labor. I would like to help in the obtaining of free wood. The last thread ended… but think i was a good idea. Good free wood should reduce the costs for wood shop teachers and give others some supplies for projects.

Here’s the challenge with “free” lumber. What the owner really wants is someone to clean their property for free. This can be real hard work.

Mesquite trees are notoriously ornery.

They have thorns and they do NOT like to be cut or messed with. They are often very difficult to cut down. You can doze them, you can winch them, or you can cut them, but they don’t usually come easily. Having said that, @jeffbob is an expert and has all of the equipment to do it right, including some big chainsaws. He has cut hundreds of mesquite trees and has made a few dollars doing it.
I would consult with him on the viability of the offer.

A couple of things about mesquite. 1) if it isn’t cracked it isn’t mesquite. It is very difficult to find a large piece of mesquite, especially one with few cracks. The cracks are actually prized because they can be filled with epoxy and they look beautiful when done that way. 2) it almost never expands or shrinks even after cut so it doesn’t have to be air dried very long. The trees can grow under extremely difficult situations and I guess that’s why they don’t need a lot of water. 3) It makes absolutely beautiful tables, cutting boards and bowls. It is a hard and durable wood. Some of the most beautiful native wood turnings I’ve seen were made of mesquite 4) worst case, even the small branches make awesome smoked bbq.

Lastly, I’ve seen some very large pieces come into Rockler when I worked there. Three foot plus in diameter slabs. They always sell for a premium and they always go quickly. It is a very desirable wood.

@jeffbob has given me some and I love turning it.

4 Likes

maybe?

or maybe?

I have left messages on this Craigslist free labor/wood.
Have gotten no response back. If someone does let me know.
I do have a plethora, if that can be actually true, of chainsaws.

1 Like

great if you have an echo… and we can strip the wood and dry it… yeah at 25 dollars for some planks. I am always desire some to get makerspace some free wood for our projects. I will keep looking see if i can get direct leads i can personally vouch for as active and looking to give.

If y’all find somewhere I might be interested in joining you guys. Just depends on how soon and if I already have plans. Also with enough warning I have access to another truck.

Mesquites are evil.

• You try to kill them and fail they will come back with a vengeance and many more thorns.
  • You cut them down at the ground they will come back with the same vengeance and many more thorns. To top it off, every cut piece will try to root and grow as another mesquite tree.
  • You burn them down they will come back with the same vengeance and many more thorns.
  • You plow them under they will come back with the same vengeance, but with many more trees as where they touch the ground they root.

Those thorns will pierce car, truck, trailer, ATV, and even thick tractor tires - both front and rear. They are evil.

They are resistant to most chemicals. This stuff will actually kill the plants, but you better make sure you cover every leaf and stem on the plant with it.

RJ

May I suggest pramitol. Just beware, it sterilizes the soil. Suggest mixing with diesel for better application. Yes Virginia, that’s actually on the label.

Back in the '70’s, the USDA was spraying the suckers with Agent Orange to see if that would take them down. I worked with them the 2nd year, and the mesquite didn’t look all that affected…

I saw mesquite and was going to tag you, @jeffbob, but @coloneldan beat me to it!

No, you mistake evil for a boundless desire to thrive.

But once cut, it is a gorgeous wood to work with. As @coloneldan says, very dimensionally stable. Fantastic for turning. Strong. Great character and lighting in the wood. The bark holds for live edge works.

One of my top two woods.

Also as Dan said, @jeffbob is the expert in this, harvesting many trees to share with us.