Free HUGE wood cookies near white rock lake

Massive tree was cut up after the storm and there are tons of massive wood coolies for the taking. Bring help as you wont be able to lift them on your own.
9709 Shoreview Rd in Dallas near white rock lake.
Bulk pickup is soon so hurry!

A few houses down

My neighborhood in Lake Highlands near Abrams/Royal/Greenville lost lots of large trees. I lost one and possibly two more will be coming down, but I have no way to transport any of it to the DMS. Homeowners would probably be thrilled if anyone wanted to take some of it. It sounds like it will be a while before the city collects in our neighborhood. If anyone is interested, I can reach out to homeowners, collect addresses and perhaps types of trees they lost.

1 Like

YES PLEASE!!! THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE GOOD!!!

Maybe this can be a community event. Get a ton of wood for free. Maybe have a class on how to process it?

1 Like

I know I would come pick up another load of whatever I can fit in the bed of my truck. If there are any walnut or mesquite I would love to get some sections for turning bowls.

I will send some emails and let you know what I find out.

We just heard Dallas isn’t planning a bulk pick up for our neighborhood until late August so homeowners are upset. It might change if enough people complain, but right now, there’s no rush. Pretty much all the sidewalks in my neighborhood are lined with tree debris – lots of cut up trees and large branches.

Do you mind sharing a crossroad? I don’t mind going wandering around.

Start in the neighborhood at Royal/Arborside (north side) - between Greenville and Abrams. The neighborhoods north and south of mine are also worth exploring.

1 Like

Judging by the leaves that I can see – this is mostly oak.

1 Like

Does anyone else see a way to tie this into some great PR for DMs. What is some way for the homeowners to know what their value trees. Can become in their second life. Losing a tree hurts because there can often be memories Todd Keller.

If a lot of this is in the areas around the lake Highlands Middle School I can see a waiter tie in with maybe yes getting some of our Woodworkers that have made things from this collected wood together for a booth there and letting folks 1 C bowls and pans and two letting them actually buy sayings from wood that came from their neighborhood. Not how more local can you get. It ties into being green it ties into local and sounds like it could be a win-win for us.

1 Like

There are (or were – haven’t been by since Friday) some very substantial pieces on the curb on the west side of Hillcrest just south of Spring Valley. There’s a large tree that was uprooted that hasn’t yet been dissected fully, so maybe more on the way too. Some of these look like they might be 2’ across or more – a rather big, old tree.

I have Hackberry in my yard. A neighbor just said she has “huge pieces of Osage and Bois de arc.” Will post anything else I get.

1 Like

Ooh that bois de arc is great for turning. Does she already have it cut up?

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s cut, but I’m checking how cut up it is and will let you know when I hear back.

I just got an email from someone else who has “huge magnolia tree branches.” If there’s interest, I can drive by her house and take a photo.

Here’s the response from the person with the osage/bois d’arc:

" we lost 3 really big trees and 1 smaller tree and they are chopped into various sizes. I would be so happy if they got turned into something:)"

4 Likes

Are these houses on the same street you mentioned earlier? If so I will drive by after work tomorrow.

I’ll message you the street address. It’s off Arborside in the neighborhood I mentioned.

Another neighbor just said she thinks there’s lots of pecan along the creek between Vista View and Summer Glen. Not sure if it’s cut up by homeowners or fallen trees, but if there’s interest in pecan, might check there too.

1 Like

There are quite a few large trees that were felled in North Oak Cliff. I’d love to snag a couple pieces, but they’re far too heavy for even 2 people to lift.

1 Like

City of Dallas is way overwhelmed on the tree cleanup. If any of you noticed they are subbing it out to contractors. There is a huge brush pile at 635/75 on the south east side.

I drove through the neighborhood late this afternoon and it looks like a lot of the smaller cuts that I saw last week have been picked up. There are still quite a few larger pieces scattered around along with some smaller pieces, but it is not as much of a mess as it was last week. I heard today that some homeowners are paying people to haul away brush and trees because they don’t want to wait on the city.