Free Getting Started with STM32 class at TheLab.ms in RIchardson

Jim Merkle will be giving an intro class on STM32 on April 19.

All class registration for TheLab.ms is done with meetup.com

4 Likes

Any chance of Openocd being used? Along with St-link v2? Bpamplin do you use visual studio code or platform.io? I would like to run a 32 bit marlin firmware. and i am having trouble debugging it.

Jim’s email is in the class description. You can check with him.

http://merkles.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_STM32_-_class_description

(I never post contact info here so I was going to PM it to you but apparently I cannot PM since I am no longer a member of DMS.)

I do not use visual studio or platform.io.

Thanks to @jast for reaching out to me to say I should be able to PM and an offer to help. My screen was zoomed in and I overlooked the New Message button.

I’m responding here to correct my earlier statement and to tell all that @jast is always prowling around to see how he can help those in need. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Since we will be using STMicro’s STM32CubeIDE, the IDE already has JTAG (SWD) support wrapped into the development environment.
Incorporating NUCLEO-F103RB boards with this environment, users will find the experience of building and debugging projects is rather easy.
Hope to see you there.

I hope to attend. I think this information might be helpful to the teacher, but i would hope to email the teacher instead of disrupt the class. So i am wondering if this is useful information. This information comes from a book on a firmware debugging software known as openocd. OpenOCD - Open On-Chip Debugger… (Amazon.com ) ST-link and ST-Link/V2 .
For info the original STink enumerates using the mass storage usb class; however, its implementation is completely broken. The result is this causes issues under Linux. The simplest solution is to get Linux to ignore the st-link using one of the following methods

modeprobe -r usb-storage && modprobe usb-storage quirks=483:3744:i
add “options usb-storage quirks=483:3744:i” to /etc/modprobe.conf

Sorry i am on the phone. I often have difficulty in linux getting debuggers to install.

I’m aware that the STLink enumerates a JTAG interface, a USB-CDC interface, and a Mass Storage interface. The Mass Storage interface is used with Mbed to program the target with binaries downloaded from Mbed. Drag and drop the binary into the “mass storage”, and the binary will be written to the target. It works very well.

I miss Tanner. They had a variety of Nucleo boards at good prices.

4 Likes

Signup and come to the class. I’ll have some NUCLEO-F103RB boards available for $13.72 each.
You’re welcome to checkout the material that will be presented:
http://merkles.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_STM32
Hope to see you there.
Jim Merkle