Free Ceramics Stuff

I found out about a storage shed full of ceramics stuff in Oak Cliff. The person who was into ceramics passed away and they need to clean out the storage quickly. There is a kiln (they mentioned that they’d like $50) but it’s not digital and would be from the 70s. Lots of ceramic molds, tools and glazes, most free. I was thinking about taking some of the molds but as described it’s too much for me to deal with right now. If anyone is interested PM me and I’ll give you the phone number. It doesn’t sound like anything that fired arts can use but I’ll tag everyone just in case. :slight_smile:

@Cairenn_Day @cmcooper0 @dryad2b

1 Like

I briefly perked up at the glazes, but if they were firing molded stuff, it’s probably all low-fire. Mind you, we could use some more variety in the Stroke-n-Coats. And I’m kinda assuming that the Mayco low-fires would be similar – in that you could fire them to Cone 6 with minimal differences.

My impression was that everything they have is from the 70s. They said something about porcelain and mixing glazes. ETA I guess it’s possible that they might have more recent glazes but were using 70s equipment. I didn’t ask many questions once I heard Oak Cliff, I just can’t find time to drive there.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll give it a whirl if timing can be worked out for me to visit the stuff. I don’t want to waste their time if it’s not going to be a good match but some of those hand tools from the 70s are killer good. My favorite angle tool is from that era.

I live in Oaik Cliff and since many years ago I did some slip casting, I can check it oug

1 Like

I sent the phone number to Christy, can you two coordinate? I thought you might be interested. The person getting rid of everything briefly mentioned some interesting stuff about mixing glazes and working for a ceramics company in the 60s and 70s - I asked her to teach a class at DMS. :slight_smile: I wish I had time to go over there and look through the molds - I called with the intention of taking all of the molds and putting them in my garage, gradually putting the molds I can’t use on the freebie shelf one or two at a time. But the words “Oak Cliff” and “storage shed full” ended it for me. She seemed like she really could use some help too.

Would DMS fire greenware items from poured molds? It’s more of a craft than an art. I think of it like adult coloring.

I had 5000 molds when I had my craft shop. You should beware, if they have been in a shed unattended there maybe critter nest in them. Mice love plaster molds to call home.

Please send me the info, I am very familiar with the mold brands and glazes and would like to take a look.

This sounds like it needs to be a DMS field trip. :slight_smile: I’ll just PM everyone her phone number. It was posted to another local group so multiple phone calls would probably be fine.

How big is the kiln? There are some thoughts on making a heat treat oven. (Obviously the FA Committee would have dibs first)

1 Like

I’ll PM you the phone number. When I called he seemed pretty desperate to get rid of things, someone else called and he might end up being flaky. I have no idea what’s going on there. I would recommend looking on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for a nicer kiln with a digital controller, they aren’t incredibly expensive used.

Absolutely we fire greenware from molds! I fired a bunch of stuff … last spring?? for somebody that was using molds. And Colonel Dan usually brings in stuff that he’s poured.

No room for the molds, of course. And a person would need to be aware that our glaze firing is to Cone 6. Which is mid-fire, and will melt low-fire clays. (I know you know – just thought I’d better say it.

Take-it-take-it-take-it! We have all the kilns we need, and it’s over $500 to add a digital controller to a kiln. We’ve got both the “bigger” kilns running fine, and a 70’s era kiln is not likely to be in any better shape than the 2 we’ve got.

No room for any more in our area.

Trivial, but not cheap. The criteria for repairing a kiln is whether or not the bricks and body are in good shape, and the two bigger kilns we’ve got are in good shape. And, our recent repairs to the smaller kiln has it working well.

Plus, we have no room to add another kiln.

Great, I have a ton of stuff packed in boxes. I need to drag it out and finish it.

1 Like

I think this is a no go after my log conversation with the person with the kiln and mold. There is a family dispute about the items going on.

1 Like