Frank Disucssion RE: CNC Plasma & The Near Future

I have to say, if that includes the Hypertherm unit(~$1500 value, plus keeping our $400 torch usable), I think I’d just pony it up. That way we can quit dancing around lack of ownership, and do as we wish. Then, once we’ve decided what else we want, we can sell it off. I don’t think getting $5k for it would be hard, again, especially if we include the Hypertherm in the deal.

One of the things that would free up would be the complete retro-fit of controls, software, etc. if that’s what we decided we want. https://www.candcnc.com/
At the very least, it would make any improvements valuable to us, rather than worrying about “throwing money down a hole” by improving a device owned by someone else…

2 Likes

agreed, we will need to look at adding an overhead gantry if we expect to handle material over 4x4.
I have helped a maker as he struggled to handle a 4x4 1/2 peice of steel.
easy to see some get hurt moving that sort of weight by hand alone

I’ve used an air scribe to mark drill points on a piece that wasn’t appropriate to plasma cut out. They’re cool and very loud…of course what isn’t loud in a metal shop!!! Number 1 ‘tool’ for a metal shop is to buy good ear protection…don’t go cheap here.

1 Like

I agree with you only if the plasma cutter comes with it. 5k is reasonable. The membership has learned to use it and I think it is the biggest draw towards metal shop utilization. In the future, when DMS finds that 40k-60k sqft space, it would be conceivable that metal would be at least 2x if not 3 or 4 times as large and it wouldn’t be a stretch to think 2 tables would be the logical thing to have.

1 Like